Top box or not

The essential art of farkling.
boboneleg

Top box or not

Post by boboneleg »

I love the look of my KTM without anything obscuring the view ......... but the top box is sooooooooo handy wether you're off down the shops or out for a day ride.

The trouble is the local kids keep asking if i'm delivering their pizzas :laugh:

So what say you? top box or not?
one-legged adventurer
outrunner

Re: Top box or not

Post by outrunner »

I would be lost without my top box, spare gloves, waterproofs, camera, sunglasses, etc.
Oh.......and an AA roadmap in case I do get lost! :)

Andy.
Grumpy auld man.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

Definitely no top-box.

They look ugly and they put the weight too high and far back beyond the rear axle.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
GB

Post by GB »

OB1 wrote:Definitely no top-box.

They look ugly and they put the weight too high and far back beyond the rear axle.
Agreed mate, but I think we are in the minority. I have one for the GS and the only reason I keep it is for when the kids are old enough to ride pillion, otherwise it stays off.
Finally back on a GS :D
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

I like using a top box. It came with the bike. It locks. You can fit a few bits in. Great. Its not really that different from strapping a roll bag on but its a bit more secure.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Alphadog43

Post by Alphadog43 »

OB1 wrote:Definitely no top-box.

Can't say it any better my self :P
GB

Post by GB »

ipswichbiker wrote:I like using a top box. It came with the bike. It locks. You can fit a few bits in. Great. Its not really that different from strapping a roll bag on but its a bit more secure.
I think its an age thing James, they were laughed at 20-30 years ago when I was riding and decent top boxes didn't exist then, just a big white fibre glass thing.
Finally back on a GS :D
africajim

Post by africajim »

Wouldn't be without one for touring, both Tiger and Vara have mounts for one.
Secure, detachable and very handy.
Honda, the power of dreams.
adimurp

Post by adimurp »

As handy as the top box is, it looks terrible!! How to turn a bike into a pizza moped in one short move... I make the extra effort to use my tank bag and a canoe bag strapped to the back, and as much as it pains me to say it, it's nothing but vanity...
no cuff too tough....
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

My top box pretty much stays on permanently for it's handiness, as said, waterproofs etc.

I stick empty panniers on too if I'm off to a bike show or the like, all my kit gets locked away and I can wander around in shorts and a T shirt, while others slog it out all day in leathers, boots and carrying a lid.
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."

Return to “ACCESSORIES”