Spanish Pyrenees: May 28th - June 1st, 2012

PHILinFRANCE

Re: Spanish Pyrenees in May or October 2012

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

BRICKLAYER :laugh: it just sound special the other way :laugh:
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Austin wasn't the brains behind the HUMM, he was the brains behind Mondo Enduro and then Terra Circa and a few other very good travel movies. Grant and Susan Johnsonn were the brains behind horizons unlimited if I'm not mistaken they're a nice couple from Canada who've done two up overlanding for years in nearly every country you can think of.

Any road, just wanted to clear that up, no offense meant or anything.

If it's worth anything I'll be 39 years old on the 7th June 2012 and as I've been to the Pyrenees twice alone over the past two years I can think of no better way to celebrate my last year before I'm over the hill. Also it'll be good practise for the "Big one" I'm planning for 40. :)
So if you could do it on he first week of June, that'd be very very cool and I'll be there! :)

BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it

Whatever you do on your path, do it mindfully.
Tramp

Re: Spanish Pyrenees in May 2012

Post by Tramp »

For what its worth.. :whistle:
How`s about leave on overnight ferry from portsmouth [Friday ] on cheapest route with cabins "sharing" to caen..then motorway to le-mans/Tours . Then roads to Souillac near Phill`s for saturday evening , with small ride out sunday rouns his special area B) .

Monday to the meet in Tremps leave Friday morning over to Gavernie and camp at a special site with views to die for in France..then saturday via scenic roads to St jean de Angely and Sunday via the Loire to stop south of Le-mans [non motorway routes].

Leaving Monday to the caen ferry either fast cat back for lunchtime or late pm arrive Portsmouth 9pm...

Just thinking allowed and trying to stir up interest...

We would need to book ferries in Feb and reserve the campsites in France as it`ll be busy .
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Snowdog wrote:Austin wasn't the brains behind the HUMM, he was the brains behind Mondo Enduro and then Terra Circa and a few other very good travel movies. Grant and Susan Johnsonn were the brains behind horizons unlimited if I'm not mistaken they're a nice couple from Canada who've done two up overlanding for years in nearly every country you can think of.

Any road, just wanted to clear that up, no offense meant or anything.

If it's worth anything I'll be 39 years old on the 7th June 2012 and as I've been to the Pyrenees twice alone over the past two years I can think of no better way to celebrate my last year before I'm over the hill. Also it'll be good practise for the "Big one" I'm planning for 40. :)
So if you could do it on he first week of June, that'd be very very cool and I'll be there! :)
Hi Snowdog,

Sorry to have spooked you on that one: what I was saying - and I guess this didn't come cross correctly - was that Austin (and Lois) were the peeps involved in devising the actual routes/trails, rather than the serous heavy work of the admin - no mean task and usually totally unacknowledged! I'm totally certain that Grant and Susan (fantastic people as you so righly say - I've said as much to them person to person!) would acknowledge Austin and Lois's input.

In fact the hole HUMM thing specifically says that A & L devised the routes - for a fairly huge fee I might add! That's what I meant by saying "the brain(s) behind the HUMM" correct emphaisis this time I hope!

Meanwhile - I'd be very honoured to help ypu limber up for the Big Four-Oh, as I'm sure everyone else on this 'ere lovely forum would, given the chance!

Cheers

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Tramp wrote:For what its worth.. :whistle:
How`s about leave on overnight ferry from portsmouth [Friday ] on cheapest route with cabins "sharing" to caen..then motorway to le-mans/Tours . Then roads to Souillac near Phill`s for saturday evening , with small ride out sunday rouns his special area B) .

Monday to the meet in Tremps leave Friday morning over to Gavernie and camp at a special site with views to die for in France..then saturday via scenic roads to St jean de Angely and Sunday via the Loire to stop south of Le-mans [non motorway routes].

Leaving Monday to the caen ferry either fast cat back for lunchtime or late pm arrive Portsmouth 9pm...

We would need to book ferries in Feb and reserve the campsites in France as it`ll be busy .
You're a man after my own heart Tramp - childhood namesake's apart :evil: - the route on from Phil, Villeneuve -sur-Lot, Agen, Auch etc. is a dream!

See you soon I hope. Glad ypu're a brickie, thought for a sad moment that you might be an 'artist currently exploring ceramics in a 3d medium while engrossing onesself in the French rural idyl . . . - yes, that makes me vomit too! :evil:

Cheers

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

The Spanish Biker wrote:

You're a man after my own heart Tramp - childhood namesake's apart :evil: - the route on from Phil, Villeneuve -sur-Lot, Agen, Auch etc. is a dream!

See you soon I hope. Glad ypu're a brickie, thought for a sad moment that you might be an 'artist currently exploring ceramics in a 3d medium while engrossing onesself in the French rural idyl . . . - yes, that makes me vomit too! :evil:

Cheers

Simon
And i'm a Lancashire lad to boot :laugh: ...... roll on MAY/JUNE 12
Snowdog

Post by Snowdog »

Cheers Simon, much appreciated.. I'll start saving now! Already dead excited.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:

Cheers

Simon
And i'm a Lancashire lad to boot :laugh: ...... roll on MAY/JUNE 12
Oh No - a b****y woolieback! Only joking Phil, I'm not a real scouser, I'm a native of Wallasey from the days when it was still in Cheshire - the 'posh' end of our family still hasn't got over the shock! I haven't got an accent and don't nick cars :evil: - well not really nick 'em, I always put them back, if not in the same street then somewhere close, and always pointing the same way . . .*

Seriously Phil; how about of I come up on a weekend - can't have you doing a sickie on my behalf!

Tramp: you're even more a man after my own heart - I used the Portsmouth Caen run for about ten years before we finally moved here in '97. I reckon you could get to Phil's on 'real' roads rather than the autoroutes. Although these weren't built in those days so maybe the equivalent 'A' roads are crap - as I find when the two run side by side in France as well as Spain.

Further south we used to go via Perigaux and then Bergerac - a fabulous road! You can easily get to Tremp (the name rhymes with 'hemp') in one day from there on the N21 to Lannamezan, then over to Montréjeau and into the Vall d'Aran, i.e. Vielha, from there.

It would be a mistake to use the Bielsa tunnel/pass as heading east on the Spanish side is one heck of a run after a long day!

Not much more from me over the next few days, I'm going wandering in the Pyrenees with Mrs S and our husky bitch - mourning our husky dog who had to be put down yesterday. Anyone who's had dogs will know what we're going through; the rest of you will be like, "What?!" - and I dont bame you!

Cheers

Simon
* I really am only joking about the cars thing - and I always meant to put that lead back on the cathedral roof, bit it's so much heavier going up!

Snowdog

Re: Re: Spanish Pyrenees in May 2012

Post by Snowdog »

The Spanish Biker wrote:mourning our husky dog who had to be put down yesterday.
I'm really sorry to hear of your loss, We've got two dogs and I know I'll be devastated when they pass.

Snowdog

Simon_100

Re: Re: Spanish Pyrenees in May 2012

Post by Simon_100 »

Thanks Snowdog!

Simon

Return to “ABR Spanish Rally Pyrenees 28th May - 1st June 2012”