advice on soft panniers

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
markyt

advice on soft panniers

Post by markyt »

i fitted some givi pannier racks to my TA and have looked at givi t449 panniers but has anyone got any idea for any others that are any good. cheers
FMFox

Re: advice on soft panniers

Post by FMFox »

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Mine are Ortlieb , I was lucky to get them second hand from ebay

Also look at Wolfman , quality kit .. http://www.windingroads.co.uk/shop/
:)

LWR
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

I've just spent a month touring Spain with a set of Wolfman panners. Really good kit, especially as you can adjust the capacity with external stuff straps.

One minor gripe - you have to buy extra bits for fluid bottles, these are great in themselves but attach to the bags very clumsily, hanging out to the side and making your load wider - I clobbered them more than once riding between bollards in search of parking on pavements and boulevards - illegal of course but always tolerated in Spain and Portugal! On the plus side you can fir four of them - bust this does begin to look expensive!

I bought the 'Teton' bags rather than the Expedition Dry range and I think they're fine. A good buy also was the made-to-measure stuff sacks to fit inside them - really useful as you can pack them to bursting and then they just slide down inside the panniers. Handy colour code too: the set comes as two black and two yellow sacks; yellow for clean undies and black for soiled - logical really!

All in all much better than rigid panniers, which are just pants - soiled or otherwise!

Cheers

Simon
pannier1.jpg
pannier1.jpg (59.36 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
Pannier2.jpg
Pannier2.jpg (64.24 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
Portugal bump_2011-08-31.jpg
Portugal bump_2011-08-31.jpg (66.96 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Another thing about Wolfman is that they fit onto other racks - they just give you a bot of Velcro strapping with 'D' rings but it works OK

Simon
Pannier3.jpg
Pannier3.jpg (50.19 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ive been very happy with the ortileb panniers ive used
they have had a good test n some pretty tough terrain they have sat on the bike for well over 7k ,,and are still good [a little dirty maby
if you take a fall the straps may be vunerable ..mine have survived ok on a three slow speed tumbles
totally waterproof easy to use and have sat there for well over 7k miles including a trip to morroco .. for 120 quid i think they are a decent buy

By minkyhead at 2011-03-23
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
simon-vstrom

Post by simon-vstrom »

I bought some Oxford First Time soft panniers over a year ago. They are the budget type and typically around £50 – although George White Outlet in Swindon had them for £35 – bargain.

To be honest, they scratched my bike and offered no security. Anyone could help themselves to my stuff, so for the second Europe trip I treated myself to a set of Givi hard panniers. At £100 plus £100 for the frame/ fixings it is a much better solution – but money is always an issue…

If you’re interested in my Oxford soft panniers than send me a personal message – happy to off load them to a good home (or bike!).
bigw42

Post by bigw42 »

Look at the Giant Loop ones on the Adventure Spec site, very expensive but look bomb proof, also Halvarrsons do a similar set up at about £75 but not sure of how waterproof they are, or try Kriega, they now do a US 30 that will attach to your pannier racks, I've used their stuff for about 3 years now and it is top class and indestructible, they are also working on an actual soft pannier set up.

Hope this helps. :)
big al

Post by big al »

May I ask Markyt why are you going for soft paniers, why not gor for
ali ones, That way if you are camping you can use them for all sorts of uses and they are totaly water proof they don't even have to be expensive ones.
Cheers
AL
Attachments
DSCN1366.JPG
DSCN1366.JPG (88.63 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
gebrauchtwagen83

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

we just had a week with germany where i used hein gericke soft panniers. id avoid them, no security, questionable waterproofing and my hands were red raw trying to open and close the zips

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”