First aid biker course..

Have some feedback and input to share? Don't be shy and drop us a note. We want to hear from you and strive to make this site better and more user friendly for our guests and members a like.
Tramp

First aid biker course..

Post by Tramp »

Hi Mods and Alun....

seeing as ABR is kinda huge now and we seem to have some intrepid types amongst us..:whistle: .

And NO I aint organising it ...

What about a Day coarse covering the basics for motorcyclist in the event of a accident/Fall etc.. as we all come across fellow fallen bikers be it on the trails or road and even when touring abroad I`m sure we would all like to be better prepaired or at least feel we have something to offer the "hurt" fellow biker..

Nothing to technical as thats what the "emergency services " are there for just the cuts,broken bones..recovery position thing.. steaming a bleading cut etc.

whats everyone else think.. maybe a few coarses nationwide run by st johns or something..

over to you..:P
Lord Vader

Re: First aid biker coarse..

Post by Lord Vader »

Done one a few years back,absolutly brilliant.Well worth doing.A guy on the xrv forum organised it,we had enough people going so it was only forum members on the course which made it real nice;)
I dont need a MP3 player on my bike.The voices in my head sing to me all the time
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Good idea Russ, I've done numerous 1st aid courses including FBOS (first bike on scene), I'm not qualified however to deliver what you are suggesting.

We all should know the basics, so any input would be advantageous.

I'll ask around and see if I can find someone who can deliver, but there may be someone on here who can help out.

A feature for the mag?
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
AustinW

First aid biker coarse..

Post by AustinW »

I did a one day course earlier this year organised by Southport Superbikes (BMW) and Bowland Pennine Mountain Rescue. It was a customised course specific to bikers and I got a certificate out of it too :) The course is run out of BPMR's stunningly located base in the trough of bowland. Excellent course and excellent trainers. There also seems to be the option for overnights in the attached bunkhouse, beer delivered and catering too. I have a contact if this forum is interested although I can't say they will definitely run the course again or the cost - I paid about £50 for a day with lunch, teas, coffee etc.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
davsato

Post by davsato »

great idea russ, nice one.
trouble is, we're a national 'club', could this be included as part of a boil'esque rally most of us would be coming to anyway?
you see where im coming from, if you take austins's example, the course is £50 which is great, but then ive got to get up to the pennines(is that north of london?) and back so its 3 tanks of fuel at £45 a pop, and a couple of days camping/B&B etc. suddenly, "im out"
Dave
Stubbsie

Post by Stubbsie »

Hi there team,
I'm aware that North West Ambulance Service run the First Bike on Scene Course, which is accredited by the Royal College of Surgeons.
Also Bikesafe run a similar 1 day course as part of the 2 day Bikesafe scheme, which is a course I would thoroughly recommend for any biker ABR or Sports biker to attend, really informative & you will learn something new to improve your riding techniques too !
Again these ideas are food for thought
Paul

Post by Paul »

I wonder if "First bike on scene" would run a course for ABR. I did it a couple of years back and found it very good.
numptyspence

Post by numptyspence »

I have thought about doing one of these, and have been looking at the First Bike on Scene Course run by the North West Ambulance Service. It looks like a really compressive course

If we cant arrange a national ABR First aid thing, what about a few regional ones i would think if you could get 10ish people together that are interested something could be arranged though i have no idea how to go about it :blush:
knobblywobbly

Post by knobblywobbly »

For us lot in the South/South West maybe this could be an option:

http://www.swast.nhs.uk/services/commtraining.htm#icare

If anyone down here is interested I don´t mind giving them a call to find out what´s what.
Stubbsie

Post by Stubbsie »

I've just got this info for the North West Chaps, might be worth giving this chap a call for his advice on organising a course.
Barry Eagers
Marketing & Training Co-ordinator
North West Ambulance Service NHS Trust
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 0870 8330 999
Fax: 0870 8350 724

ShoreTel: 5405
http://www.firstaid-training.com

Return to “SUGGESTION BOX”