Nurburgring

Where you've been and what you done
Teflon Jnr

Nurburgring

Post by Teflon Jnr »

Hey all has anyone ridden the nurburgring I'm out that way in June and it's been on my bucket list for so long any tips etc would be appreciated I'm not up for spanking it round just want to do one lap of the ring come off in one piece etc and carry on my holiday any advice would be appreciated
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
RandG

Re: Nurburgring

Post by RandG »

It's terrifying, absolutely terrifying.

Hope that helps.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Thought about including it on a trip out that way 4 or 5 years back, but after a little research, got scared and kept well clear. Reading about what can go wrong, what does go wrong, and just how much it costs should it go wrong, was enough to put me off. Would like to have done it, but the risks are too great for me. Im sure it’s a real wiz though, and you’ll get a prized sticker for your bike I should imagine.
RandG

Post by RandG »

25 euros a lap and still you have to buy a sticker. It's a tick list thing, almost a must do but I didn't find it an overly pleasurable experience. Sure other absolutely loved it but cars going past me sideyways at triple figure speeds on a 75 corner circuit was more butt clenching than enjoyable.

I'd suggest going round to the public viewing point first before you commit, see for yourself then decide.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Did a lap a couple of years ago with same sort of motive as you have I was there watching the German WRC round anyway as said the conertations of messing up on the ring are quite expensive, my intension was just a scenic lap as it turned out it was pissing down and the track was closed for a private gig. Waited a bit eventually had a lap in very wet conditions with a bunch of Spaniards tailing me on sports bikes because I was Welsh and bound to be an expert in the wet their words not mine. The worst surface I have ever ridden on in the wet was really really glad to get off in one piece may have been bad luck a 911 pouring its blood out earlier who knows? Spaniards not so lucky. Was passed by a couple of quick Porches etc but they gave plenty of room clearly new what they were doing. Bottom line if I was nearby again I could be tempted with another lap but you really have to be cautious about it, if it were wet not a chance, and I quite enjoy riding in the wet sometimes. You be OK wont you be following that old expert on the Shiney Black 1100 anyway? Whatever have a good un.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I've done 25 laps over 5 visits, but not for about 12 years so my experiences are from a while back. Things have probably changed a bit. Think it was 8 euros a lap when I last went round!

It's a great place, and a brilliant thing to do - especially on a well-sorted sports bike. Buy your ticket / multiple ticket and then spend a while in the parking area sussing out what kind of vehicles and what quantity of vehicles are going out on track. Sometimes you can time it so that the track is a bit quieter and with less cars. If you find yourself surrounded by cars, just move to the right (on a straight), wave everything past and create some space for yourself. You don't what to be in a competitive situation with a well-driven Porsche 911 Turbo because it WILL be faster than you through the chicanes/slower corners (even if you're on a good R1) and you will only pull away on the straights.

If you're new to the Nordschleif, just ride it like it's a normal mountain road, but with some very eager drivers/riders looking to overtake you. Stay right as much as possible, until you need to set up your line into a corner. Biggest problem is that until you have done at least 3 or 4 laps, so much of it looks the same. Which means to say that several long fast straights with pine trees either side are followed by similar looking corners, EXCEPT one of the corners will be a 20 degree fast sweeper and the next could be a chicane - and they all look much the same as you approach them - so it's hard to know how much speed to scrub off on the approach. Get it wrong and you can barrel off into the armco (this can cost you financially as well as physically by the way). So it's best to ride well within your limits and concentrate hard on vanishing points, turn in points and braking points. You could book yourself onto a Ring training day where you have access to the track alongside other bikes only, and they put mini-cones out at suggested braking/turn-in points. Quite expensive but certainly safer.

If you are ragging it on a sportsbike then you can empty your 20 litre tank in three laps, so bear that in mind. Most important maintenance issue I found was brake pads and tyres. You want both to be as fresh as poss but scrubbed in. I've never ridden it in the rain and probably wouldn't to be honest. Think about it - it's technically a public road so EVERY kind of vehicle has been round, leaking diesel and oil, making some corners an ice-rink after fresh rain - and you won't know which until you're on your arse.

If you can afford the hotel that overlooks the modern F1 track start/finish straight, then that's a good place to stay - and it has a bar where lots of racers have signed the ceiling. But loads of other accommodation locally too.

To be honest, if you are going on a touring/road/adv bike I would be tempted to take a look at the track, maybe do one leisurely lap and then spend your time on the other beautiful roads in the Eifel mountains. If you have a sportsbike and you already do trackdays then go for it - but try to learn the layout on an X-Box first and keep away from nutters in cars if you can.

Have a good trip :D
Cone

Post by Cone »

I'm sure i read somewhere that if you have an off, you have to pay for any down time of the track, medical recoveries, bike recoveries and repairs :o

I chose not to do it whilst in Germany, however they have some awersome tracks like Oschersleben for instants (I didnt check the spelling)
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Fantastic place, BUT be very careful. I've done laps in a car & on a bike. The advice above from Dave is good.

Try to get on the track as late into an evening session as possible. The locals will have gone home and it gets quieter. BUT you run the risk of the track closing early due to a crash, as I know to my cost.

Do not try to attempt any sort of bridge to gantry time, just ride it like a road and try to enjoy it.
Attachments
page_3158286-363ab386e69b729e27b9faf56cd55ed8.jpg
page_3158286-363ab386e69b729e27b9faf56cd55ed8.jpg (126.27 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Griff097

Post by Griff097 »

Great advice above, I have hoped to have a lap deveral times on the off chance as I was in the area with other friends, but each time it was closed either for the weather or for private functions, so if you really want to do a lap chech their website in advance as teams book it for testing/corporate days etc

Watch what gear you wear too as you need a full face helmet etc

I read fair bit about the place as I had hoped to get on and the general advice was stay right and watch your mirrors as that is expected by the faster riders/drivers and if it's wet don't even think of going out as as well as the usual slippery stuff there is a lot of paint on the track where spectators have sprayed symbols to do with the cycling races that use it as well as it is well slippery in the wet.

As others say, if you cause an accident or put oil down on the track/bend the armco then they can and do bill you.

None of that would put me off if I was in the area again, except the wet and I like riding/racing in the wet and I would enjoy it for what it is a blat on a twisty road.
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

From what I’ve heard it’s not what it used to be, but that’s no good to you.
We used to go for long weekends in the early 2000’s, if we took the Thursday night Hull—> Zeebrugge ferry, we’d be at the ‘ring for Friday lunchtime, dump our stuff at Klaus’s hotel in Adenau and doing laps by mid afternoon. In those days it was 5 euros a lap.
Make sure your bike is in a roadworthy condition, with an exhaust that isn’t overly loud (they test) and mirrors on it. I’ve had friends turned away for both those reasons, which is a bummer when you’ve gone all that way just to ride the track.
All the roads around that area are great and the more times we went, we started booking accommodation further away, Cochem is a great place to stay and just the right distance away from the track to warm the bike and tyres up on the journey in; it also has a bit more night-life than Adenau.
There’s an all weather ‘bob-sleigh’ track in the area too, great fun, you sit on a tea-tray and career down the hillside on a steel track. There’s also an extensive museum and go-kart track.
Don’t try and keep up with the locals in tuned to the nuts Opel Corsas...

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”