More electrical issues

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
dubber68

More electrical issues

Post by dubber68 »

Well those pesky electrical gremlins are at it again. My heated grips stopped working correctly. They were constantly on despite the controller being an intelligent one that cuts out. Also the controller power lights were not coming on when the button was pressed. Thinking it was a dodgy controller (oxford and have had bad ones) I purchased a new one. Fitted a complete new controller and wires to the battery today and the same issue was there. I think the grips and wires are OK as they are warming up. After spending all day trying to resolve it I gave up and fitted a simple on/off switch wired through a relay. I would however like the controller fitted s it gives the flexibility of different power settings. I am now suspecting the controller is not at fault however. I also plan to swap the controller with the same one fitted to a different bike to test it when time permits

Yet again over to the knowledgeable folk on here.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Hugh

Re: More electrical issues

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Unfortunately I have not fitted this marque of heated grips although in the past I have watched a number of videos on the all encompassing YouTube. The controller is an 'intelligent' unit that senses the battery voltage to automatically control its own on-off master function by being wired directly to the battery. The theory is that they use Schmitt trigger technology to monitor the battery voltage, effectively above a certain factor they switch on and below that threshold they turn off.

You may need to test the battery and charging system of the motorcycle. Before trying to test any electrical faults I would always test and charge the battery, preferably off the bike or use a charger such as an Optimate, other makes are available. Check all earth connections to the battery as these corrode plus they can loosen over time and cause all sorts of problems.

I think that you might be best advised to contact Oxford products direct and to that end take a look at their website;

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/contact

Sorry I do not have the definitive answer to give you but perhaps these comments might help.

Please let us know how you get on.

TTFN

Hugh.
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

Paul the oxford grips = first ones were known to have dodgy controllers. Maybe a search of Repair um or ever ask Oxford for a replacement goodwill do dah = yer never know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HTHY
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Hugh wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:02 pm Greetings,

Unfortunately I have not fitted this marque of heated grips although in the past I have watched a number of videos on the all encompassing YouTube. The controller is an 'intelligent' unit that senses the battery voltage to automatically control its own on-off master function by being wired directly to the battery. The theory is that they use Schmitt trigger technology to monitor the battery voltage, effectively above a certain factor they switch on and below that threshold they turn off.

You may need to test the battery and charging system of the motorcycle. Before trying to test any electrical faults I would always test and charge the battery, preferably off the bike or use a charger such as an Optimate, other makes are available. Check all earth connections to the battery as these corrode plus they can loosen over time and cause all sorts of problems.

I think that you might be best advised to contact Oxford products direct and to that end take a look at their website;

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/contact

Sorry I do not have the definitive answer to give you but perhaps these comments might help.

Please let us know how you get on.

TTFN

Hugh.

The problem was that the grips would not turn off and the controller was not controlling or lighting up. The battery had been on a trickle charger all night and showing fully charged. I think there may be a problem with one of the grips having thought about it which I am hoping to prove by swapping the controller to another set of grips. I will of course keep you posted.
Last edited by dubber68 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Mickdb1 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:11 pm Paul the oxford grips = first ones were known to have dodgy controllers. Maybe a search of Repair um or ever ask Oxford for a replacement goodwill do dah = yer never know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HTHY
Hi Mick, long time no see. You still got your Sertao? My old girl is starting to show her age and mileage but I am loath to part with her. Just fitted the Touratech rear shock on her as well as mine was getting very tired.
I have purchased a brand new controller and I am still seeing the same fault on the new controller which only leaves the grips which I will prove tomorrow by swapping a controller as mentioned above. I think the wiring may need some work in general as I am starting to see a few electrical problems.

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

sounds like your `intelligent` controller needs re-educating,
to some degree,
don't overfeed it the volts
or it will become the fat controller :lol:

(apologies) :roll: :mrgreen:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ive had a similer problem ..ive used oxford grips for a long time and have em on all the bikes ..they have ben on the wee strom for ten years and the grips are worn down to the wires i just wrapped em with tape an they still work well

point being that they usually work pretty well

been on the rally for 6 months and like you the controler went haywire ..woudnt switch off and one grip was much hotter than the other

heres a tip for buying

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=45144

so they sent me a new set ..i promtly installed the new controler ....but it did the same ..wouldnt auto switch and no power at all,l to the right grip despite the voltmeter saying all was good ??

out came the dremmel and i fitted the new grip and ... and the controler worked properly again ?
i can only reason that the controler is sensitive to resistance or some other witchcraft electrical shit i know nowt about

good luck ... merry xamas
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

minkyhead wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:32 pm ive had a similer problem ..ive used oxford grips for a long time and have em on all the bikes ..they have ben on the wee strom for ten years and the grips are worn down to the wires i just wrapped em with tape an they still work well

point being that they usually work pretty well

been on the rally for 6 months and like you the controler went haywire ..woudnt switch off and one grip was much hotter than the other

heres a tip for buying

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=45144

so they sent me a new set ..i promtly installed the new controler ....but it did the same ..wouldnt auto switch and no power at all,l to the right grip despite the voltmeter saying all was good ??

out came the dremmel and i fitted the new grip and ... and the controler worked properly again ?
i can only reason that the controler is sensitive to resistance or some other witchcraft electrical shit i know nowt about

good luck ... merry xamas
[/quote

Thanks Minky, that supports my theory and today I found a dodgy connection on one of the grips which was still contacting though. I haven't however re-fitted the controller yet to test my theory. I will keep people posted.

kaithwales

Post by kaithwales »

Informative thread!

Return to “TECHNICAL”