Honda XRV Africa Twin - Should I ?

The Things We Ride
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

I've been a life long fan of everything TDM850 / 900, however I may have the opportunity of a late model 4000'ish dry miles, never been raced or rallyed, Africa Twin. I'm thinking of changing to one anyway, there's still decent ones to be had 2nd hand for a price ? I know they're getting on a bit but there's still spares and accessories to be had.

Decisions, decisions. My mate had one when we did trips to Norway and the Alps and Pyrenees so I know where it'll keep up and some good points / bad points (numb bum, reg/rec problems due to mounting - same problem with TDM850's - move it to under the seat !).

I was thinking, I don't peg scratch for laughs or hero worship, but when it happens it's a useful reminder that either things are flowing or I've got it wrong again. It's therfore a safety issue for me - pegs down - that's far enough time to back off.
With the more adventurish kind of bike (e.g. Africa Twin) do you get that kind of warning or just learn the limits in other ways ? I appreciate it can depend on suspension set up and weight etc. Just curious.

I'm no off roader but the dirt and stone lanes and C / U roads are always there to be explored as part of a bigger trip.

I've read all the reviews over the years, but any useful ABR experiences welcome please.

cheers
Mul.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

I've had three ATs.
Go for it, you won't be disappointed.
I'd still have mine but for changes to my touring.
Easy to service and loads of info on xrv.org.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
rupertu

Re: Honda XRV Africa Twin - Should I ?

Post by rupertu »

A great bike... always wondered why Honda don't make another decent adventure bike. Apart from fireblade the rest of their bikes are a disappointment.
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

I guess I'm hesitant about making a big change. My current setup suits me. Why am I even considering a new machine ?

I didn't do anything different moving from the TDM850 to the TDM900. I always regarded it as an upgrade/swap rather than a change. It all worked the same or better. I didn't alter my riding style or technique one jot. Same corners same speeds same braking etc.

It's been a long time since I had a "different" bike. I know man and machine in harmony will come eventually with time / experience. I've never though about this before with other bike swaps. Am I getting old ?

Has anybody else umm'd and arh'd the same ?
africajim

Post by africajim »

I've had five @T's over the yrs, covered over 100k miles on them and loved every minute of them. I put a lot of miles on mine and decided it was time for a change. I was poor at the time and decided I had to trade my @T for something newer and lower miles so went on to a Varadero as a better two up tourer.
I've still got a Varadero but compliment that with a new Triumph Tiger 800XC!
I personally never had any problems with my @T's, no fuel pump, no regulator issues but admit the seat was like a plank! Cracking bike, wouldn't mind an early RD04 model if at the right money! Agree with on here, you won't regret buying one.
Honda, the power of dreams.
canazei1200

Post by canazei1200 »

I'm replying from my Husbands profile but saves me logging out and back in again but wanted to add my thoughts, I've just bought a 95' Africa Twin as my first bike only passed my test two weeks ago and have had my first ride out covering about 100 miles a week ago and can honestly say that the more time I spend out on it the more I am gelling with it. I was a bit worried about the size and weight but this melts away as soon as I set off, I'm lucky that I have long legs so can get my foot flat at a stand still, the only thing I am looking to change are the brakes to up grade them and the seat, for now a £7.99 stadium seat works but a gel seat will be on the list. I can not say how it would compare with other makes and models as I came from an XT125 but so far I am very happy with it. ;) cheers Foxy125
NOT AS FAST ON A BIKE AS I THINK I AM
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

I eventually sold my AT and bought my GS, regretted selling but I'm now very happy with the decision.
None of us like change much, but we get used to it.
If it dosent suit you'll allways find a buyer.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

Thanks for replying. It's all helping.

... First big bike, Good Stuff. For what it's worth, I felt moved to give a Karma but it'd go to the wrong person :silly:
knobblywobbly

Post by knobblywobbly »

I sold my RD04 a couple of months ago after owning it for almost 3 years. I liked it a lot as a one person bike but it was awful two-up. The seat is uncomfortable, particularly for a pillion. I still think they´re overpriced - I now have a Caponord which I feel is a much better all-round bike for me, is 11 years younger and cost me less than what I sold the @t for :)
herman

Post by herman »

If its the right price then buy it,ride it,if you dont like it then a low mileage AT will not loose money,they have a cult following so nothing lost other than knowing you stepped out of your comfort zone. (written from the comfort of my wing backed armchair) B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “BIKES”