Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, France, Pyrenees

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
thebiggestjolly

Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, France, Pyrenees

Post by thebiggestjolly »

_20170615_220059.JPG
_20170615_220059.JPG (63.89 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
Hi all,

Myself and a mate are planning a trip this summer. We were originally planning to go to Finland and back, but have decided now on warmer climes.

The picture attached is a vague idea of our route, starting in London, crossing to France and headed to Brussels, then south, skirting the alps and heading to the Pyrenees, before coming north to Bordeaux for an event my mate is going to, then north and home.

Still in the early stages of figuring out route, and sights, roads, and fun stuff, and looking for suggestions. This is our first trip abroad on the bikes, and we're camping for the majority of the trip. We're leaving on the 10th August. Need to be in Bordeaux by evening of the 25th so 2 weeks. Seems enough time but correct me if I'm wrong. I'm on a 650 Transalp and my mate's got a Triumph Trophy 1200.

Things I've got noted so far:

Col de Turini
Millau Viaduct
A little bit of unrestricted autobahn :woohoo:
Europa park - theme park in Germany

And other than various towns/cities thats all I've got so far. Finding cool roads in the alps and Pyrenees I don't imagine will be hard. Look at a map and follow the twisty bits, but any suggestions welcomed.

But not just roads, cool stuff to do/see as well. From water parks to architecture, open to anything interesting.

Figured a couple folk on here night have already ridden this way at some point... ;)

Cheers all
Jolly
Spike941

Re: Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, France, Pyrenees

Post by Spike941 »

After you finished doing your German thing, take the B500 Black Forest Route south to the Swiss border, then head for Geneva and take Les Grande Route des Alpes to Nice. From there you can tick off the Turini. After that, make your way to Grasse and take the Route Napoleon as far as Sisteron, then head west to, and up and over Mont Ventoux. From there, keep heading west to the Gorge d'Ardeche, followed by the Cornice de Cevennes which takes you further west to the Tarn Gorges and Millau. Ride over and under the bridge, then head south west through the Haute Languedoc and make a Bee line for Andorra. From there heading west, leaving south into Spain, or north into France, pick up the D618 on the French side (a real col fest) and just follow that west all the way to Saint-Jean-de-Luz on the Atlantic coast. From there it's and easy run north up to Bordeaux. Enjoy your trip, easily doable in 2 weeks, but depends on how much time you spend playing in the German theme parks and autobahns.
PDiddy

Post by PDiddy »

The B500 is a great road but is heavily policed at times, you would be better off looking at some of the L roads for less traffic and great bends - (thumbs)
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Spike941 wrote:After you finished doing your German thing, take the B500 Black Forest Route south to the Swiss border, then head for Geneva and take Les Grande Route des Alpes to Nice. From there you can tick off the Turini. After that, make your way to Grasse and take the Route Napoleon as far as Sisteron, then head west to, and up and over Mont Ventoux. From there, keep heading west to the Gorge d'Ardeche, followed by the Cornice de Cevennes which takes you further west to the Tarn Gorges and Millau. Ride over and under the bridge, then head south west through the Haute Languedoc and make a Bee line for Andorra. From there heading west, leaving south into Spain, or north into France, pick up the D618 on the French side (a real col fest) and just follow that west all the way to Saint-Jean-de-Luz on the Atlantic coast. From there it's and easy run north up to Bordeaux. Enjoy your trip, easily doable in 2 weeks, but depends on how much time you spend playing in the German theme parks and autobahns.

What Spike says..pretty much sums it up!!.... (thumbs) (thumbs)

Just follow your front mudguard there or closely parallel and you have it sorted!! ( Have a look on a map to join the D918 etc etc Full of twisties )

( The beaches along north from St Jean de Luz will be warm enough to swim in and of course are topless :whistle: )

Enjoy your ride.

:)

Will It Buff Out?
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Tarn Gorge (thumbs) whilst you are down there
cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

If you like trail riding there is a trail off the Col de Turini, it passes Mt Ventabren and comes out near Breil-sur-Roya which is on the road to the Col de Tende (thumbs)
one-legged adventurer
gspod

Post by gspod »

If you are camping look up motorcycle only campsites (motocamping) - there are a few, especially in France. They are more expensive than the ordinary campsites but, usually, the facilities are excellent with a nice bar and restaurant. Of course the atmosphere is great because you are with like-minded people.
Have a great trip (thumbs)
OB1

Post by OB1 »

thebiggestjolly wrote:We were originally planning to go to Finland and back, but have decided now on warmer climes.
It was 23 degrees Celsius when I went up to the Arctic Circle and Nordkapp in August last year! Far more comfortable than the 39 degrees in Germany on the way back... :blink:
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

If you're on Route Napoleon it would be worth a short detour to Gorge du Verdon.
WP_20160712_10_45_52_Pro_2017-06-16.jpg
WP_20160712_10_45_52_Pro_2017-06-16.jpg (71.07 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
Get Michelin maps and follow the scenic roads highlighted in green and you won't go far wrong.
stramasher

Post by stramasher »

I would give the Pyrenees a miss (save for another 2 weeker trip to fully enjoy!)which allows you to enjoy more of the Vosges, Alps, SOFrance and Cevennes. Tour instead of just riding through. Take an extra night dump the luggage for a day or two and go explore.
A loop of the Gorge du Verdon as Sprinster recommends is a must and is a joy. Early as you can as can fill with the dreaded campers later on. Castellane nearby is ideal to stay over and get that early start with the Gorge pretty much to yourself. The small town is also really nice and very biker friendly.
Before that though, Aiguille Du Midi cable car from Chamonix. Stunning.Again beat the coach loads and get there for the first "car" up.
Big n'small cable cars from Zermatt in Switzerland up over a huge glacier to near the Matterhorn. Proper looking mountain. Earlier the better for the best unclouded views of the peak.
Go through the Massif De L'Esterel inbetween St Rapheal and Cannes.You have the perfect bike. Nobody there. A gem.
Take the road north from Menton to Saint Agnes beautiful hilltop village, with an even higher castle ruins and the end of the Maginot Line fortifications.
Cevennes: Loop round the Tarn and Jonte Gorges. Drop in on the big buzzard spotting place on the Jonte Gorge road.Just happened on it and ended up spending way way more time than I thought I would "checkin' oot the burds!"
Hope that whets your appetite. Lucky fella. B)

Return to “TRAVEL”