Theory or no theory?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Mike101

Theory or no theory?

Post by Mike101 »

A quick question folks....

My ladies 27 year old wants a Vespa. He has a full car licence...I know he must do a CBT but what about a theory.

The gov website say yes a theory is needed but over ten bike training sites say no.

So what does he need?

Also says he needs bike provisional on his licence....where is that shown on the new card thingy?

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Toe

Re: Theory or no theory?

Post by Toe »

For a CBT no theory test is needed. Any further then yes.

The bike theory is separate from the car one as well so even if he'd done it for a car a week ago he'd still have to do the bike one.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

anything over 125cc you need more than a CBT & subsequently a theory test pass. CBT's last for 2 years
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Thanks gents..but the question is this. Does he need a theory test to ride a 125 on L plates with a full car licence.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
daryl

Post by daryl »

from https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt/who-needs-training

After you’ve completed CBT, you can ride a:

moped if you’re 16 or over
motorcycle up to 125cc and with a power output of up to 11kW if you’re 17 or over
You must use L plates (L or D plates in Wales).

You must pass your full moped or motorcycle test within 2 years, or you have to either take CBT again or stop riding.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Wouldn't a quick call to a riding training school be more constructive and quicker than to keep asking the same question on here. And please don't ask if anyone has the number for a riding training school, use google or yellow pages
(thumbs)
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Mike101 wrote:Thanks gents..but the question is this. Does he need a theory test to ride a 125 on L plates with a full car licence.

Mike
Mike, he needs a CBT & a provisional motorcycle ticked on his licence, it is no longer standard so he needs to have it added.....I don't think there's a charge for it either?

The theory test only kicks in when you plan to take it to the next level & there's no need for it on L plates
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Teflon Jnr

Post by Teflon Jnr »

I only passed my test 2 years ago at 31 and had a full car licence just needed to book a cbt once completed the instructor gives you a certificate which if that's all you need you return to the dvla with your driving licence if you want a direct access or similar you retain the cbt certificate and return upon completion
Jesus rides a Harley and the devil wears prada

🇩🇪 🇧🇪 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇮🇲 🇱🇺
Trev

Post by Trev »

Mike101 wrote:Thanks gents..but the question is this. Does he need a theory test to ride a 125 on L plates with a full car licence.

Mike
Nope, as stated I think in an earlier reply, he will need to do his CBT which then entitles him to ride a 125 on L plates. He will need to take another CBT every two years unless he takes a test.

Return to “THE PUB”