Garmin GPS

The essential art of farkling.
bunker

Garmin GPS

Post by bunker »

Ok - i have a garmin unit that i use in the car (have used it in the map pocket on the tank bag too) but my local outdoors place is doing a deal on the Garmin GPS 60.

Does anyone have any experience/reviews/horror stories about these?

Would seem to be a good option to have mounted in the cockpit.
Triumph Tiger 885
Alun

Re:Garmin GPS

Post by Alun »

We've tested out the GPS 60 in Adventure Travel magazine - it's more suited to hiking and mountaineering. Why not a Zumo?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I bought a second hand Zumo 400 from eBay for £160 quid.
It's great to be honest.
You can add any maps you like including TOPO maps if you want to take it off the bike and use it for hiking.
It has all the same features as a GPS60 i.e hiking GPS.
Waypoints, tack logs, routes etc etc
You can even convert Google map routes to your Zumo now to make life even easier.
Mine stays atached to the bike all the time, it can be locked on.
It's fully waterproof and plays my MP3's while riding along.

I really do recommend it, especially over a Tomtom Rider.

Hope this helps

Ade
scouse

Post by scouse »

Is this the GPS60 with B&W display or a more specific one like the GPSMAP60 CSX.

If it is a GPSMAP60 CSX on a special deal grab it with both hands. Deals with a lot of the new mapping does routing has an excellent receiver and is tough as old boots.

The barometer and altimeter are superb for off roading and adventure touring an it is rugged as feck.

If you can live without being TOLD when to turn and just need a reference device. Buy it.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
africajim

Post by africajim »

I use a Garmin Legend CX on the bike and can't fault it for certain things over my Tomtom one XL I use daily. Works fine, waterproof, powers off the bike or battery power. I use mine along with maps.
Honda, the power of dreams.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Let's be honest here, does anyone use their GPS for anything other than finding the nearest food or fuel?
africajim

Post by africajim »

Honestly? I use mine to ensure I'm going the right direction! Following a wrong direction moment in Germany to the tune of 200 miles I decided maybe best I know where I am and which way I'm going!
Honda, the power of dreams.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Alun wrote:
Let's be honest here, does anyone use their GPS for anything other than finding the nearest food or fuel?
Given up on the fuel thing after it led me on a merry dance more times that I can remember the last one notably in Reims... long hot story.

Food I can always find... ;)

I use mine for ETA's (which it is pretty good at to within 10 mins on the average ride ), likely miles to go , KPH Speedo and track logging mainly... and the last half mile in a new town finding a location.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

At home, I use it to log nice camping spots I come across for future trips and for finding my way back to where I parked when walking the dogs in the forest.

When on trips, I use the GPS mostly to navigate in a foreign city rather than spend hours lost!! That is pretty much it.

Route planning I use paper maps: I just find it easier to see where I am and where I'm heading on a sheet of A4, rather than a minute screen!
f2uk

Post by f2uk »

Alun wrote:
If you just want something to do this ..... use an iPhone, worked great finding a petrol station in the middle of no where in Scotland.

not tried it in the middle of the jungles in Peru so who knows, but then again would your sat-nav?

Return to “ACCESSORIES”