Camping gear

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Phil

Camping gear

Post by Phil »

Hi

Im looking for some advice on camping gear please fella's.

Air bed – I've used self inflating matts before and think there great, but…..once you use an air bed you just can't go back! Got an airbed with a built in pump which is great the 1st two times you use it…now it seems to take forever to pump up. My mate has the same one, his is a little better to pump up. (if thats possible?)

I like the Vango air bed due to its length (194cm) and the Coleman looks good too (both reviewed in ABR).

But both of these require a pump. So…do you have to use a vango pump on a vango bed? Because the Vango pumps I have seen are like bicycle track pumps (upright hand pumps, could be an arse to pack on your bike?). I've seen a 3l Gelert foot pump and it packs down fairly small, my problem is I love the comfort of air beds but I also like to save space with my equipment so want one with a small pump.

Sleeping bags – any one used the Vango Ultra Light 300 or the Vango Supernova 1000? Looking for a 3 season Synthetic bag (can't afford Down) that’s packs up small.
Selous

Re: Camping gear

Post by Selous »

Mate If your using the Exped Down Pump, http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_ho ... 2B00296698

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_ho ... endocument
If it is not going up you are possibly doing a number of things wrong

1) Hands not correct position 2) dampen Hand over valve to ensure seal 3) not allowing pump to fully inflate before doing another pump or 4) you may have a hole.

I thought so much I went & got 1 for the GF she loves it too, it takes a bit of getting used to the pumping, & when first get it supposed to unwrap it for 24 hours, (i did it at home), & practiced using the hand pump :whistle:

Re Fart Sacks I would rather use a down even if a 2 season over a synthetic, make sure
you use a silk liner, I find I'm far too warm I have to unzip the bag.

but everyone to there own

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
davsato

Post by davsato »

ive a leccy pump (are you old enough to remember those giant 'raygun' hairdryers your mum or gran will have had? Its like a tiny one of them). I put a dual size plug on it so it plugs into the car or bike and it blows up an argos box sided liferaft in about 40secs. It sucks too, although you normally just unbung the bed on the last morning it takes half the space if its been vacuumed out.
Cant remember where i got the pump from but it was years ago now anyway, there are plenty of styles on the market.
Dave
tony23

Post by tony23 »

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-0407.aspx
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-1265.aspx
Me and swimbo used this set up around scotland. exelent and very comfy
Slept like a baby
(pissed the bed twice and woke up crying)...joke
GB

Post by GB »

Got a 12v pump out of Aldi, £6.99 blows and deflates, please not though this is a 100watt jobby that will trip the canbus accessorie supply on a BMW in about 10secs :angry: You can always use croccy clips off the battery or as I have fit a direct to battery socket ;)
Finally back on a GS :D
africajim

Post by africajim »

+1 for the Aldi's style pump, works a treat, sucks as well as blows and we've used it for a couple of years now and never a moments issues.
Tried a Tesco's airbed for a couple of seasons, found them a bit bouncy castle like and gave me a sore back!
Went back to the Argos rubberized red and blue airbed, not so bouncy as the Tesco's one and seems comfier.
Sleeping bag's, well, I've a Eurohike 3 season for myself but when I'm camping with Fiona we use a Tesco's double.
Tentwise, always look for a bit of a porch, gives you somewhere to stow gear and also a cooking area if it rains.
Honda, the power of dreams.
tiger800xc

Post by tiger800xc »

I purchased the Hi Gear Compact Tornado Airbed PumpCORE-DFGB-ZHG024
from Go outoors and fitted an extra power adapter on the Tiger takes a couple of minuets to inflate and deflate it superb.
Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Ferris Bueller
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

I've got the Vango 300 sleeping bag.

Bit too buly for my normal camping trips but I take it when I've got the space and I think it's going to be cold. It's very warm and comfy. I'm no expert on sleeping bags though !

My blow up mattress is one of those cheap £10 ones from I can't rememeber. It's only 2 foot wide it has 6 "chambers" all filled from one puffer hole. Just big enough for 6' me as it's a 6' bed. It won't electric inflate. Strangely the filler is part brass. On the upside it never leaks.

It does pack up very small though, which is my usual concern. Sometimes small is better ...?

hope this helps.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Mul001 wrote:My blow up mattress is one of those cheap £10 ones from I can't rememeber. It's only 2 foot wide it has 6 "chambers" all filled from one puffer hole. Just big enough for 6' me as it's a 6' bed. It won't electric inflate. Strangely the filler is part brass. On the upside it never leaks.

How do you blow it up then? foot pump?

Think i would rather use a foot pump rather than an elecy one...i know it sounds odd but i have my reasons ;)

As for sleeping bags, a few people have said to me (like SELOUS has) that your better off with a 2 season down bag than a 3 season synthetic?? (and yes i will be using a silk liner)

Cheers
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

phil, good ol fashioned Lung power :blink:

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”