tents sorry.....geodysic vango mirage

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Tramp

tents sorry.....geodysic vango mirage

Post by Tramp »

Okay,

Sorry for another tent question... :whistle:

Ive always used a tunnel tent mainly vango or coleman...ive a vango spirit 200 old and dependable but its small based on the tempest model ..

Ive been thinking of a vango mirage 200 as its geodysic and has side facing doors so handy when its windy...and as im partial to wildcamping sometimes getting pegs in ground is a real bastard... :woohoo:

So anyone got one of the above or a general view of geodysic against tunnel ....

Thnaks
JonnyBravo

Re: tents sorry.....geodysic vango mirage

Post by JonnyBravo »

I have moved from using a Vango Omega 350 tunnel (a mainstay of bikers, you see them everywhere) to using a Vango Ostro 300 Geodesic

I also have a Vango Tempest 200 tunnel (fantastic lightweight backpacking travel tent) but on the small side - I cannot sit up in it.

I moved to the Ostro as it is much easier to put up and get it to stay in place after I had a few problems on some rocky ground in windy conditions with the Omega.
Its also much cooler in hotter climates like Spain

they all have their plus points.

The omega is very big and makes for an excellent 'base' camp tent if stopping in one place for a while
When nothing is going right - go left
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Never any problem with tent topics Russ, especially at this time of year when we're all - well I'd like to think all! - of us are thinking of the season to come ...

That Omega looks interesting, very heavy for hiking, even the 200 two man tent weights in at 3.25 kgs, but a geodesic for that price has got to be a good deal for biking as long as the pack size is OK - so what t the pack size, haven't seen this on various shopping pages?

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

Omega 350 -
Packsize 48.0 x ø20.0cm
Trail Weight 4.32kg

Ostro 300 -
Packsize 46.0 x ø17.0cm
Trail Weight 3.69kg

does not sound much less but in reality seems to pack a fair bit smaller - The Geodesic Ostro also goes into a 'stuff sack' and is much quicker to pack and the poles are slightly shorter so a better fit into BMW tin panniers !
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Thats still heavy for a good 3 man--and the pack length is also too long--there are better and cheaper 5,000 mm, ripstop tents out there--my 60 quid Chinese one is a better specification and I've used it a few times. The inner has a lot of mesh so its much better in hot weather. I might add that I'm a bit of a tent anorak and have about 4 at the moment--all suitable for slightly different conditions.
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

catcitrus wrote:Thats still heavy for a good 3 man Define Heavy?--and the pack length is also too longWhy is that too long?--there are better In what way?and cheaper 5,000 mm, ripstop tents out there--my 60 quid Chinese one is a better specificationthey are probably all actually 'chinese' in what way better?and I've used it a few times. The inner has a lot of mesh so its much better in hot weatherthe ostro is all mesh inner. I might add that I'm a bit of a tent anorak and have about 4 at the momentI'm not sure there is a prize for having the most?--all suitable for slightly different conditions.
then when you when given us your anorak view on those questions, please give us your insight into the original op question regarding 'tunnel' vs 'geodesic'

many thanks !
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

+1 for anything geodysic style. (thumbs)

this is mine North Ridge Sphinx http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/north-ridge ... nt-p287265

Cheap for the bike and similar to what you're looking at. It's two man but that means in reality 1 + gear. Still fabric tight after 2 years. Gets wet give it a "ping" and the water droplets "bounce" off. I'd have another. Rated at 50000mm and I can confirm it's watertight. Very stable in winds too. Not had to re-waterproof it yet.

Yur right, in general, the only thing holding up tunnel tents are the pegs / guy ropes (i.e pegs again), plus you usually have to build the inner 1st (ok not ALWAYS) but more common on cheaper tents. As you know that means the inner becomes wet in the rain before you get the outer on ... same with taking down.

For standalone where getting pegs in are hard and poles on outside are an absolute must for me. I'll even compromise on size/weight for the advantages.

HTH Chrz Mul

p.s. I'd rather poke my eyes out with a rusty nail dipped in sulphuric acid rather than buy a tunnel tent - just my preference :ohmy:
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

I have the Phad X3 which was the earlier version which gives plenty of room for gear and sitting if needed. Whens its hot there are 2 pull cords inside which opens mess pockets for a nice bit of air. I had a Exped which cost a mortgage and a top tent but sold it and went back to the Phad as it suits my needs.
boatman

Post by boatman »

DONT apologise for a tent thread,,,,,,,,,,, it surely beats all the political crap that the forums have been awash with this last while
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Thanks all for the input...ill.keep my eyes on ebay etc as they soon off load old stock ...go outdoors are robbers...

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”