Seam sealing tents - help?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
DaleC

Seam sealing tents - help?

Post by DaleC »

My old faithful 16 year old Salewa Sierra Leone 2 tent suffered minor water ingress through the seams on our recent trip to Mongolia. Per the photos below, the taped seams have now failed and I presume because due to the tent's primary use and storage in HOT Queensland (until last year).

Having never purchased a tent that required seam sealing before (always taped seams) has anyone got any advice as to whether this is a simple process and also whether it is worth attempting? Or do I use this as an excuse to replace (rather avoid, if possible)?

For me, this was a high quality, 3kg tent in 2000 when purchased and I know that there are lighter and roomier tents now available - but I have sentimental attachment to this tent and I also know it is incredibly sturdy! ie Phillip Island 2003 - Casey Stoner aquaplanes while leading the 125s buy a country mile in a torrential downpour with extreme winds and 75% of the campsite is in ruins while this tent is upright, without guy ropes :P

Thoughts? Product suggestions?
DSC_0457.jpg
DSC_0457.jpg (29.31 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
DSC_0458.jpg
DSC_0458.jpg (61.94 KiB) Viewed 3242 times
Keyboard Adventurer! :D
92kk k100lt 193214

Re: Seam sealing tents - help?

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Go into a camp shop and see what they have. If the tent works well this is worth doing. There are tape kits, I know because I have one but only bought as repair. You can also recoat the waterproofing on the inside using 'Fabsil' but you must mind the excess heat of hot climates. I find all tents suffer a bit in 40c plus.

I have had a few tears over time and now use a local stitch shop run by some Latvian women whose work is first class. A sailmakers or caravan awning makers would have the necessary skills. Sail makers in particular are great for neat work as they are used to lighter fabrics.

The 'Fabsil' can also be used for redoing seams and I prefer brush rather than spray on.

The difficulty with tents is the storage. I avoid storing tents rolled up tight as heat and stresses can really affect them so they get stored loosely rolled and lightly packed.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

there's a company in Southampton who clean reproof and I believe repair I will get the details of a mate for you

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Exterior hitemp clear silicone sealant works....aka bathroom sealant with antifungal agent...as long as is flexible some.glues and gortex repair tapes also works...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

Redmurty wrote:there's a company in Southampton who clean reproof and I believe repair I will get the details of a mate for you

cheers Spud ;)
Thanks Spud - but I am now based in Austria :silly:
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

DaleC wrote:
Redmurty wrote:there's a company in Southampton who clean reproof and I believe repair I will get the details of a mate for you

cheers Spud ;)
Thanks Spud - but I am now based in Austria :silly:
just a wee trip for you then....... :whistle:

wash and waterproof....... Southampton

cheers Spud ;)

Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

and here's a link ....

http://washandwaterproof.com/

cheers Spud ;)

DaleC

Post by DaleC »

Thanks for the advice - I had never heard of Fabsil before. (thumbs) I was thinking of either Nikwax or a product called McNett Seamgrip Seam Sealant that google suggested for me :P
92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:Go into a camp shop and see what they have.
I tried the camping stores here in Innsbruck, but the products are of German origin and none that I had heard of before. They are also quite expensive as camping here is more along the lines of mountaineering.
92kk k100lt 193214 wrote: I find all tents suffer a bit in 40c plus.
Agreed and this tent is not a lot of joy to be in those temperatures! :ohmy:
92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:The 'Fabsil' can also be used for redoing seams and I prefer brush rather than spray on.
Cheers - brush on would certainly be simple! (thumbs)
92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:The difficulty with tents is the storage. I avoid storing tents rolled up tight as heat and stresses can really affect them so they get stored loosely rolled and lightly packed.
Agreed, this was stored loosely packed. However, general heat within my parents' house, where the tent was stored for the last 10 years, is generally warm - so no respite for the glue on the tape. :(
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

I use McNett seam grip as Dales has mentioned. They also make another great product called Silnet.

SG is expensive. you can mix it with white spirit (its hard to mix, persevers) then brush it on the seams it makes it go many times further.
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

Mike54 wrote:I use McNett seam grip as Dales has mentioned. They also make another great product called Silnet.

SG is expensive. you can mix it with white spirit (its hard to mix, persevers) then brush it on the seams it makes it go many times further.
Cheers Mike - that is good to know! (thumbs)

Any ideas of the ratio of white spirit to SG?

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”