Recommend me a compact tent

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
ChasF

Recommend me a compact tent

Post by ChasF »

I'm looking for a compact, lightweght 2 person tent for very occasional use that will fit in my large top box.

I have always had Vango but other makes of similar quality would be fine. Packed size needs to be less than 45cm long and ideally the weight around 3 kg.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Godspeed

Re: Recommend me a compact tent

Post by Godspeed »

What's your budget?
You can pick up cheap stuff from milletts or expensive stuff like terra nova/mammut etc
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
benp1992

Post by benp1992 »

I have been using this tent. Its great goes up and down quick. And fits perfectly into a pannier. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/quickhiker-u ... 45651.html
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

vango tempest 200...or older spirit 200

coleman x2 or phad 2 ...both old models but very good...

they will keep you dry and not break and hold money well....if your camping in hot countrys consider a pitch inner first as it can be used without flysheet when hot.. (thumbs)
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Coleman Aravis 2. Google it.
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
Cone

Post by Cone »

what about this

africa tent
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Cone wrote:what about this

africa tent
the poles will rust :whistle:

I use a Vango 2 man tent, light small pack size and I got mine in a sale for £80 (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
exrm193

Post by exrm193 »

I have an MSR Hubba Hubba coming up for grabs this week when my new tent arrives.
Ultra lightweight, single pole, in great condition.
I'm looking for £120

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... vl5wwgi1_b
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Thanks for the replies. The last few years we've been using hotels or B&Bs except last year we camped for 2 nights at the Bol d'Or. Loading the camping kit along with all our usual stuff made me realise how bulky our old Vango Hurricane (3 man) is - in it's day it seemed really compact and light compared to the previous Vango Force Ten. I still plan to carry the thermorests which will go on the rack on the top box and we already have compact 2 season sleeping bags which can be poked in to any small space.

We'd only be camping in ideal conditions, if the weather is a bit suspect we'll head for a hotel and the same is probably true for me these days on my solo trial riding trips. Apart from our Africa trip we've never bothered with cooking kit as eating out is one of the main purposes of our trips.

I notice that Vango's are much more competitively priced these days, our Hurricane was £350 back in 1991, but even so, bearing in mind the very occasional use I think the budget is somewhere less than £150 without comprimising pack size, weight and ease of use too much, if that's possible.
FAT MATT

Post by FAT MATT »

I have a previous version of the Coleman Aravis (Cobra 3) which is a three person tent but great for bike touring. Will fit in a top box, has good amount of room for two people or very comfy for one. It's shape means it's easy to sit up in and is low enough to have a good amount of wind protection.

Goes up easy and is nice and light. Not Terra Nova light but for sub £100 a very good quality tent.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”