Bike hire in Thailand?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Bonniebird

Bike hire in Thailand?

Post by Bonniebird »

Has anyone hired bikes in Thailand? We are looking for geared bikes for some on road and a bit of off road messing about. My only problem is I'm a short arse, I ride a lowered F650GS and a Honda CRF230, I've tried the KTM's but really struggle with them, what sort of bikes are available out there?
Cheers
Laura
Bonniebird

Re: Bike hire in Thailand?

Post by Bonniebird »

Come on someone must have been out there...... :blink:
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Yep. I've been a few times. What's available all over are Honda Dream type step throughs and small engine cruisers (175-250) Prices for these are very reasonable (I think)
Availability of off road bikes is patchy in places. The exception being in Chang Mai where there are plenty of hire shops with trail bikes.

Check out this site. Extensive ride reports in the forum. All the info you'll need.

Have a great time. Thailand is brilliant on a bike. (So is Laos if you get the chance) The perfect way to travel independently.

http://www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorc ... ent/1-home
Francis Begbie

Post by Francis Begbie »

Other than scooters a mate said they hired XR250's.
Bonniebird

Post by Bonniebird »

Cheers guys :)
TRIX

Post by TRIX »

Chang Mai or Pattaya are good places to get bikes , make sure you get registered bikes otherwise you will attract unwanted attention out side of the town you hire in we found that any thing was available if you look hard enough we ended up with 250's which were fine and we did 3000km there

Elle

Post by Elle »

Hey Laura
I haven't done any off road riding in Thailand but the advice about Chiang Mai is good.
However, you need to be careful about damage - some may expect you to pay for it all.
I had to hand over my passport when hiring a bike so there's no getting away!

Most riders in Thailand stick to 125's and if doing short day trips, a geared bike is all you need. However, I hired a bigger bike as my adult daughter rode pillion.
We had a fantastic time, the roads are generally really good but when the Thai's decide to dig up a road, they did it down to the rock, so beware!

I used Big Tony's Bikes:
http://www.chiangmai-motorcycle-rental.com/

and I also had a few days riding with Miles and Bpuk
http://thaimotorcycletouring.com/

Have fun!
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way

Return to “TRAVEL”