satnav aficionados

cocker

satnav aficionados

Post by cocker »

I'm useless at technology and gadgets, but i suppose i need to move with the times, so i have fitted a Garmin 660 to my bike, now to get the best out of it for a few trips this year, i want to link a bluetooth headset to it, i don't want to talk to 16 other people who are 1 mile away, i just want to hear clear instructions, and maybe listen to some clear good quality music if on long motorway stretches, and i would also like to be able to link it to my i phone to voice activate/ accept calls,

well i have been looking at the Scala solo, but as per usual before i shell out my hard earned, i would like to hear of your opinions and advice, from your own personal experiences

thanks in anticipation of your replies

cocker
vRSG60

Re: satnav aficionados

Post by vRSG60 »

I have a Zumo 660 & use a Sena SMH5 with it.
You will always have a conflict with an iPhone. It grabs the audio AND the music channel.
I pair the iPhone to the Zumo as a phone, then pair the Zumo to the Sena.

iPhone 4 to Zumo paired as phone.
Zumo to SMH5 paired as mobile phone using audio on Zumo.
What I find with this is that the Sena buttons do not work to answer a call. I Have to press the button on the Zumo.

I had my iPhone paired to my Sena as well as the Zumo but it ruined the music quality from the Zumo.

Take a look here at a post I started on the very subject on the Zumo forum.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
dmac

Post by dmac »

Any Bluetooth headset will work fine with this afaik. I used an Interphone with mine no problem.
Currently an F650GS, DR350 and RV125 in the family stable.
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

I have used the same set up for many thousands of miles with no problems
I still use the Scala but use a different sat nav for the last 30,000 miles and the battery is still the same one
hope this helps (thumbs)
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Milo Tighfield

Post by Milo Tighfield »

My Scala duo pro doesn't bluetooth to my Garmin 340 however it is probably just me not following the destructions :blink:
cocker

Post by cocker »

vRSG60 wrote:I have a Zumo 660 & use a Sena SMH5 with it.
You will always have a conflict with an iPhone. It grabs the audio AND the music channel.
I pair the iPhone to the Zumo as a phone, then pair the Zumo to the Sena.

iPhone 4 to Zumo paired as phone.
Zumo to SMH5 paired as mobile phone using audio on Zumo.
What I find with this is that the Sena buttons do not work to answer a call. I Have to press the button on the Zumo.

I had my iPhone paired to my Sena as well as the Zumo but it ruined the music quality from the Zumo.

Take a look here at a post I started on the very subject on the Zumo forum.
i cant get on that forum mate, it won't let me on, but yes thats what i have done up to now, paired the phone to the zumo then i will pair the zumo to a bluetooth headset, so shall i not link both i phone and zumo to a head set ?
cocker

Post by cocker »

Rederic wrote:I have used the same set up for many thousands of miles with no problems
I still use the Scala but use a different sat nav for the last 30,000 miles and the battery is still the same one
hope this helps (thumbs)
thats some serious use Eric, hopefully catch up for a chat somewhere this year at one of the rallies. unfortunately i cant make it to strontian with you all, as the lad i work with is on his family holidays, so I'm holding the fort. but hope you have a good do, i am able to make and am booked in to go with the lads on the scottish abr forum in may (thumbs)
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

cocker wrote: i cant get on that forum mate, it won't let me on, but yes thats what i have done up to now, paired the phone to the zumo then i will pair the zumo to a bluetooth headset, so shall i not link both i phone and zumo to a head set ?
I couldn't get it to work properly that way. The idea is you link the iPhone to the Zumo then the Zumo to the headset. This way the Zumo handles the calls and sends them to the headset. If my iPhone is connected to the headset then it depends which is switched on first to make the connection. If the iPhone connects to the headset first is grabs the music channel too and the music from the Zumo is crap.

The set up will work differently for other phones. I did it this way because of the iPhone limitations.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

cocker wrote:
Rederic wrote:I have used the same set up for many thousands of miles with no problems
hope this helps (thumbs)
thats some serious use Eric, hopefully catch up for a chat somewhere this year at one of the rallies. unfortunately i cant make it to strontian with you all, as the lad i work with is on his family holidays, so I'm holding the fort. but hope you have a good do, i am able to make and am booked in to go with the lads on the scottish abr forum in may (thumbs)
Should see you there then martin just connect the phone to the Garmin and the Garmin to your headset no problems (thumbs)
[center]
animated-motorbike-image-0066_2016-03-21-2.gif
animated-motorbike-image-0066_2016-03-21-2.gif (23.47 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
[/center]
If your not the lead dog the view never change's

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”