Tunisia - as good as Morocco?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Alun

Tunisia - as good as Morocco?

Post by Alun »

Morocco is the country most bikers have at the top of their North Africa list but has anyone considered Tunisia – or toured there?

The reason I ask is that about 10 years ago I flew into Tunis and caught a bus to the northern Sahara on the Algerian border and then walked north over the eastern rump of the Atlas to the coast. I couldn't find details of anyone who'd traversed the Tunisian Atlas prior to this (other than a few Roman Legions) but what I did find was huge areas with fantastic adventure riding potential. Plus I came across un-excavated and un-visited Roman ruins up in the mountains with the most amazing untouched mosaics and Roman coins and pottery dotted around.

The northern section of Tunisia was also a revelation with mile after mile of cork tree forests in undulating hills complete with hunting lodges for the large wild boar population and the rumour of the odd lion still in residence. It also snowed when I was there, not something you associate with Tunisia.

It would make a great winter touring destination, but it comes with a few downsides. There are still rumoured to be large areas of unexploded WW2 audience up in the hills and the Algerian border region does have that wild west feel about it – I was threatened with a knife in a bar on one night.

Return to “TRAVEL”