Blue tooth satnav

Boo Cock

Blue tooth satnav

Post by Boo Cock »

I have a Garmin satnav with bluetooth capability. What I would like to know is, can I just go out and get a bluetooth thingy set it up, bung it in my lughole and away we go. Or, do I need to go through a mobile phone or some other sort of device.
Also, which is the best sort to get or to avoid? And, yes, I can just look at the screen, but it is not a good idea when in heavy traffic.
-Ralph-

Re: Blue tooth satnav

Post by -Ralph- »

What's your budget?
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

I have used something like this (sometimes B) ) http://www.handtec.co.uk/sony-sbh52-blu ... wwodP9sBQw

But blue tooth battery life can be an issue on longer trips :pinch: , so I now use the speaker outlet socket on the garmin loom to headphone ear plugs. (thumbs) (thumbs) works great (thumbs)
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I'd say any bluetooth headset will work BUT the sound quality will vary.

I had these and the first words of the directions were missed.

I now have a Sena SMH5 and it's much better. Garmins are crap transfering telephone conversations to the headset though.r
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

I use the sena smh5 fm but the radio is shite

The sena will take two conections I use the first connection to my phone for calls and music the second connection is a direction only connection from the garmin 340

It is a great head set in my opinion good battery life and not to bad on price and the range is quite good from bike to bike as well and the speakers are not noticeable when set right in your lid
Every day is an adventure
Boo Cock

Post by Boo Cock »

Problem with my system is there is no jackplug for an ear piece. So the only way to hear it is to use a bluetooth, or is there?
Do not have a clue as to what these things cost but it would be nice to know.
I do not have a smart phone so cannot use that system. I need something just for the twat nav.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

The cheap one I linked worked fine when I had a silent mp3 playing constantly. It meant the bluetooth was always on so no lag with the voice instruction. What Garmin do you have.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Boo Cock

Post by Boo Cock »

vRSG60 wrote:The cheap one I linked worked fine when I had a silent mp3 playing constantly. It meant the bluetooth was always on so no lag with the voice instruction. What Garmin do you have.
I have a Garmin Nuvi 2595
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Boo Cock wrote:Problem with my system is there is no jackplug for an ear piece. So the only way to hear it is to use a bluetooth, or is there?
I do not have a smart phone so cannot use that system. I need something just for the twat nav.
You can spend anything from £30 to £500.

£30 quid gets you something that will do the job, but after 70mph you won't hear it, and it'll maybe miss instructions. £500 will get you a new Shuberth helmet with it all integrated, that gives you sat nav, intercom, phone, music and radio, and still works well at 100mph.

Sena SHM5 at 80 quid is probably best "bang for buck"

http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/?Cu ... oCBSbw_wcB

Or you can just do what I do, which is live without audio instructions, and glance at the screen as you approach each junction, so you know where it wants you to go.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Boo Cock wrote:Problem with my system is there is no jackplug for an ear piece. So the only way to hear it is to use a bluetooth, or is there?
My garmin 660 has 4 leads on the cradle, 2 of which have jack plugs on (speaker and mike connections) http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-zumo-66 ... Gwodt4IKbQ

If you have a different model, don't know if this is the same

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”