Fuelling issues on KTM990

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
E.T.

Fuelling issues on KTM990

Post by E.T. »

Any suggestions - though the bike is less than a year old, I did my own interim service / oil change (KTM garage couldn't fit me in for weeks, and I commute on it too, so couldn't wait) and so the warranty is void :( (ridiculous!!...I'd love to know how KTM can justify that when I have the receipts for genuine bits and the whole thing completed with more TLC than a garage can afford to give it? ...another topic for another day/magazine?)

Anyway, I digress, If the throttle is shut,and then suddenly open, the engine can die. This happened mid-filtering yesterday, has happened pulling away at junctions, at 70mph on a gear change up. though I have wisened up to it now and adapted the riding a bit)

Its EFI, with all the usual sensors and emmissions stuff (V-twin LC8 engine 1000cc)

It is apparently a known issue, talked about extensively on the KTM forum. Others have had remapping and done and been back to dealers, with the problem continuing...

...anyone else got any thoughts on what to do about this? (I have absolutely no other issues with this bike at all)
E.T.

Re:Fuelling issues on KTM990

Post by E.T. »

no replies :ohmy:
africajim

Post by africajim »

Sorry mate, I've never had a KTM so can't reply.
Honda, the power of dreams.
herman

Post by herman »

Loads of thoughts on this prob, G2 throttle cam seems popular,SAS removal,different cans and a remap,change of air filter,etc, however it seems to be a 'characteristic' of the model and has driven grown men to tears trying to rectify it. Kevinyorks is the man with the answers.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
E.T.

Post by E.T. »

herman wrote:
Loads of thoughts on this prob, G2 throttle cam seems popular,SAS removal,different cans and a remap,change of air filter,etc, however it seems to be a 'characteristic' of the model and has driven grown men to tears trying to rectify it. Kevinyorks is the man with the answers.
Yes I had read it was common problemo. Okay going through the suggestions:

G2 cam, okay I'll try that - that's a legit fiddle and shouldn't change anything.

SAS - is that the sensor on the exhaust?...is it a case of just disconnecting? will that make it run rich I assume?

They are the Akro's on there orignally without baffles (hence the ban from Switzerland!) but then cos of this issue I stuck the bafles back in and had it remapped to the original...no success but 20 mile increase in fuel range

Air filter - I assume it isn't respiring properly then - do you reckon K&N filter then?

Thanks
herman

Post by herman »

I'm gonna get out of my depth here but sas is the secondary air system which puts air into the exhaust to prolong the cat life and reduce emmisions. If you no longer have a cat then its redundant and can give probs apparently. If you remove it you have to block up pipes and fit blanking plates. The 950 was reknown for it less so the 990. I'd defo start with the throttle cam. Filter change can do it but change things too far and you end up remapping again! Hope you get it sorted.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
E.T.

Post by E.T. »

Return to “TECHNICAL”