Phone sat nav v sat nav devise?

XJ Lady

Phone sat nav v sat nav devise?

Post by XJ Lady »

Hi guys / gals could I pick your brains. I'm toying with idea of getting a sat nav but don't know which would be best, getting an app for my iPhone or a sat nav devise, and if a iPhone app, which one, or if devise which one.

I would need to be able to input routes manually, let the sat nav offer a route & be able to import a third party route. Can any one suggest the better option; devise or app & offer suggestions please (thumbs)
Tim Cullis

Re: Phone sat nav v sat nav devise?

Post by Tim Cullis »

iPhones and the like work fine in a car with air con, but when mounted on a bike in direct sunlight they quickly overheat and refuse to work until they are cooled down.

Garmin have many models of satnav but not all will accept imported routes.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

A quick search, last weeks question. http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... t-nav.html
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
XJ Lady

Post by XJ Lady »

Thanks treadtrader & Tim much appreciated. looks like stand alone devises are generally more robust & purposeful & phone make good backup system.
Now can you recommend the best stand alone system & apps that allows 3rd party map imports if poss. Plus apps that can be used offline (thumbs)
Bernard Smith

Post by Bernard Smith »

XJ Lady wrote:Now can you recommend the best stand alone system & apps that allows 3rd party map imports if poss. Plus apps that can be used offline (thumbs)
Which part of the world do you need maps for?

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

If you're after an app for your phone have a look for Skobbler forever maps
nuttynick

Post by nuttynick »

The tomtom app I have on my phone means all maps are downloaded, so no need to be connected to the network. I currently have all of Europe and Africa on my phone. So far so good, it works very well, no lagging behind or overheating issues. A good back up if you go with a proper satnav, but you will need a decent power feed as it sucks battery power. Although a map and compass would be belt and braces!

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”