BMW offroad skills

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
DaveCon

BMW offroad skills

Post by DaveCon »

Anybody here done the BMW offroad skills course(s)?

I've done a bit of offroad and trail riding here and abroad but wanted to gain some experience of a big bike (F800GS) without potentially wrecking mine. I thought Level 2 would suit me but reading their blurb it looks like Level 1 might be necessary before Level 2. Even though Level 1 is for "never been offroad" it also says suitable for "up to clubmans competition"!!?

Just looking for some opinions whether Level 1 is important or a bit basic.
PaulinBont

Re: BMW offroad skills

Post by PaulinBont »

Even within Level One, there will be a split between those total newbies and those who don't regard themselves as experts but need a bit a bit of coaching-this sub group will be quite adventurous on the day
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I bought a GS800 off a mate a year or so ago.
I've got plenty of experience of smaller bikes offTarmac, but I wanted to see what me and an 800 could do....I didn't want off road instruction.
So I did the "Skills enhancement Day" Well I suppose they had to call it something.
Basically, me and four others....on a 1200, 650 and two of us on 800's, followed Simon Pavey around the big playground he has down there. No classroom stuff just riding. He's a great bloke and a top rider. He'd give help, advise and encouragement as required.
It was a fantastic day and allowed me to bridge the gap between a 450 enduro and the GS800....I can still hear him saying...."Just ride the fucker like an enduro Steve!"
herman

Post by herman »

I did the level one for the same reason and it was a blast. I had enduro experience but none on the big bikes. (thumbs)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

I did the level 1 a few years ago. I learned more in 2 days off road than I had in all the years road riding. As others on here have said its a blast,I did things on a bike I never thought possible.

Return to “HOW TO..........”