Whats 'actually' the highest Pass in Europe then?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Farky

Whats 'actually' the highest Pass in Europe then?

Post by Farky »

Go on then..Ill bite as no one else has.

The magazine quotes the Col D'Iseran as the highest 'pass' at 2770m where as I know the Cime de la Bonette is 2802m.

Ok - so the Col de la Bonette is 2715 and the 'Cime' bit was added by the regions authorities to regain the title later on - yet this path was the original one before the tarmac days, they just didnt tarmac it til the requirement for a 'pass' included tarmac as the Col is just a shortcut as such.

Cyclists have lists including many of these and another list with highest altitude gain as the important factor.

So go on then..whats your opinions then..ive been to most on the TransAlp, as a keen cyclist and having the chance to follow the TDF in 2009, I went round as many as possible on the way to Monaco via the Alps.
Alun

Re:Whats 'actually' the highest Pass in Europe then?

Post by Alun »

There are boffins still in mortal combat over the height of Everest and I guess this could be another of those cases. As far as I know the Col D'Iseran is the highest 'pass' – 'pass' meaning an up and over road. The Cime de la Bonette is technically not a pass but a loop off the Col de la Bonette which is a pass. So, in strict terms the Cime is higher than the Col D'Iseran but it is not a pass.

That said, there is a higher road than the Cime, the Otzal Glacier Road (the glacier of Otzi the iceman fame) but it's a dead end road topping out at 2829m. Additionally, there are service roads which go higher still, for example the Colle del Sommeille tops out at 2993m

Anyone know of any higher service roads, there must be some.
Farky

Post by Farky »

LOl FIGHT!!

Wonder if we can find the highest altitude gain pass/col/path.

How about, highest number of hairpin bends?

Most cutoff road/path ie, furthest away from adjoining road/town...gotta be in the Pyrenees?
Alun

Post by Alun »

Lots to scrap over there Farky. Maybe we should knock them off one by one in separate threads - start one up and I'll be there.

As for the highest 'road' I'm sure there has to be something higher than the Colle del Sommeille but I'm struggling to find anything.

Return to “TRAVEL”