New Restrictions....Only one bike per Household.

The Things We Ride
SteveW

New Restrictions....Only one bike per Household.

Post by SteveW »

Ok, it's not happening, but like some on here I've got a few bikes. Lightweight, off road capable stuff, a big continent shrinking Adventure/tourer and stuff in-between.
Some more focussed folk just need one do it all bike.
If I were restricted to one bike I don't really have to think that hard as to which one it would be.....F800GS.
Small enough to thread easily through traffic. 60mpg with a bit of care, useful torque, loads of bolt on goodies available, capable of taking me and kit in comfort anywhere I want to go, cruise all day at 90mph and very capable when on mainland Europe and the Tarmac ends and the fun begins.
I wonder if everyone agrees with me?
Wapping

Re: New Restrictions....Only one bike per Household.

Post by Wapping »

My 1600 GT.

Crunch the miles in comfort in all and any weather.

Useful enough for 'making progress' whether down autobahns, A roads, B roads, country lanes, broken road surfaces, the streets of London or Alpine switchbacks. Blimey, I've even taken it on a track day and around the 'ring, more than once.

Sufficient luggage space for a lifetime.

Good pillion capability.

Everything integral. Nothing bolted on, dangling off, un-bling'ed.

Faults: It pulls to the left, it always has. It eats tyres. It needs its radiator air space cleaning out reasonably regularly. I can live with those.

Just be careful where you park it, pushing it up steep slopes is a good cardiac work out. Similarly, fellows... When parking next to me.... Employ a bit of common sense.... The panniers are side opening, not top loading like your spam tins. You'll only have to move your bike :laugh:
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Tiger 800 XC or would be very very tempted with the CCM.

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

One bike, you say?

Can't be done

If I was limited, it would be my favourite..............a 1150GSA

DSC01692_2015-04-22.jpg
DSC01692_2015-04-22.jpg (74.26 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

The CCM looks ideal for a one bike house. My DR650 might fit the bill but I haven't used it in anger yet.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Mawnanian

Post by Mawnanian »

F800GT, on Tarmac it does everything the GS version does only better. I don't do the loose stuff except the occasional gravel track. Oh, and it doesn't look like an 'adventure' bike. :)
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

The number of times my biking buddies and I have discussed this 'one bike' question :laugh: !

If you don't do any 2-up, I'd say the CCM GP450. I would certainly take mine on any solo bike ride I've done in the last 32 years of biking, on and off road, abroad and here.

For pillion use, you have to almost double your luggage on trips and you can't throw the bike around as much especially off road (!) so a heavier, more road-focussed bike may be better as 'the one'. Plenty of choices out there but I'd keep it under 200kg if any off-roading is intended and even at that weight, which is somehow considered 'light' these days :ohmy: , it would be compromised.

Jon
scouse

Post by scouse »

Unworkable - this household needs at least two
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

My 2004 F650GS is my one and only at present, and unlike the 800 and 1150 GSs mentioned can get from 70 - 82mpg, even with this fat barsteward and Metal Mules onboard :whistle:

Had a CCM 404DS, with both sets of wheels, for a couple of years. Great trail bike, and hooligan SM after conversion of less than an hour's work. A modified seat made it comfortable for a tankful of fuel - about 110 miles to reserve. Luggage carrying was the limiting factor.
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

One bike per household ? My wife isn't going to be very happy about that :laugh:
It'll end in tears I tells ya.

Return to β€œBIKES”