The Großglockner

Info on biker meeting places such as Box Hill,Poole Quay, etc. Please start each post with the county followed by the place in the subject box i.e. Warwickshire - The Waterman. It'll make things a lot easier to follow.
Ali in Austria

The Großglockner

Post by Ali in Austria »

Some of you are heading for The Alps this summer and may be interested in what is involved in getting a High Pass ready for opening.

Due to open by May 1st (as is Nockalmstraße), work commenced clearing The Großglockner on April 13th.

You can follow their progress on their FaceBook Page:

http://www.facebook.com/grossglocknerstrasse

or better still, follow it on our FaceBook Page :D

http://www.facebook.com/pension.haus.maria

For the next few days their progress can be seen on these Panomax Cams.

http://edelweissspitze.panomax.com

http://fuschertoerl.panomax.com

You can zoom in on an area. They are currently just below Bikers Point on the North Side. A team is also working its way up from the south.

When you can see them on this Panomax, their work is nearly done :)

http://grossglockner.panomax.com

The big blue Rotary Plows are between 50 and 60 years old and still going strong. They are supplemented by equipment being tested by the manufacturer Steyr.
pinball1008

Re: The Großglockner

Post by pinball1008 »

Just had a look at the links. Really interesting, thank you for posting them up (thumbs)
Not all those wandering are lost
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

I've been there a couple of times, and to me the road surfaces are great (compared to UK )
I understand that there will be some over-banding on cracks etc (due to the extreme temps on the road surface) thats part of the thrill (nowt like feeling the front going, then to grip again)
Whilst sat there gasing it out of the corners, i do think about the condition of the road?grip etc
Its all too easy to forget what we have and thats the prob!
I have a picture of a picture. That to this day scares me. Its of the glacier in 1972 ish. And its right up to the half way station, now its just a ickle ice cube. There is a helicopter that is there, but to the naked eye, is not. Guys this glacier is staggering, to see it makes you go quiet!!!
Ali in Austria

Post by Ali in Austria »

The glacier tongue used to come right down past the parking area but has retreated considerably in the last 20 years.

Some are concerned, some are not. Excavations in the exposed ground where the tongue used to be reveal fossilised forestry proving that the tongue wasn't always there. The fossils have been dated to an era when the earth wasn't particularly hot either.

I am told that around 400 years ago snow wasn't as common in our area as it is even now and much of winter would be green.
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

Ali in Austria wrote:
I am told that around 400 years ago snow wasn't as common in our area as it is even now and much of winter would be green.
I can remember when it was all green fields around here, laddie. :laugh:
Adventum

Post by Adventum »

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

I was there last year.... fantastic place to ride mad even better by attitude of the toll booth who told us whereabouts it was still icy and to enjoy ourselves (thumbs)
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

good post, any more like that and i dont mean ryl sea front

steve
Ali in Austria

Post by Ali in Austria »

Some dates you may or may not wish to avoid if planning a visit:

07.06.2015 – Glocknerkönig Cycle Race & Road Run – Road closed in the
morning.

13.06.2015 – Großglockner PS Treffen – Classic Car meeting
Coinciding with The Großglockner Spyder Challenge with Can Am Spyder Owners.

25 – 28.06.2015 – Old Timer Fire Engine Festival

18.07.2015 – Großglockner Bike Challenge cycle race from Heiligenblut to Franz-Josef-Höhe – Road closure likely.

19.07.2015 – Großglockner Road Race – Same route as above

05.09.2015 – Großglockner Almabtreibsfest – Bringing the cattle down from the mountains.

17 – 20.09.2015 – Old Timer Tractor Treffen.
Wapping

Post by Wapping »

I always like encountering the days when they bring animals down from the hills and mountains.

Yes, you sometimes have to wait whilst the four legged army moos, burps and bleats along and / or sit in the middle of the herd as it passes close by you. But, it's great that - for a while - the animals have the right of way, multiple horse power vehicles having to give way to cow or goat power.

Return to “BIKER HANG-OUTS”