Looking for help with OSM and Zumo 660

Dave DRZ

Looking for help with OSM and Zumo 660

Post by Dave DRZ »

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a good Samaritan or a useful link to help me load some OSM onto my Zumo 660.

I've used this site http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ to download OSM for Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, India & Nepal. But I can't for the life in me figure out how to load them on my Zumo. The best I've been able to do i load each one on to separate SD cards, but (in theory) they should fit on one.

I've Googled, and I've tried... but it's defeated me. Not sure if I need an IT degree or I'm missing something really obvious.

This site might as well be written in Mandrin http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin

This site http://wouter.shush.com/2014/02/15/open ... -zumo-660/ suggested I download JaVaWa which I have done... all looked good, but it tells me I cannot install maps with the names I've given them (I've named them gmapsuppTurk, gmapsuppIran, gmapsuppPak etc.. to differentiate them from the standard gmapsupp), or offers to overwrite the existing map (Europe).

Apart from having a separate Micro SD card for each country (and keeping the map name as gmapsupp) I cannot figure out how to do it.

Can anyone help?

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Mickdb1

Re: Looking for help with OSM and Zumo 660

Post by Mickdb1 »

Sorry youve done the bits I was to recommend but just try and change all the details ie. the mapset the folder and number
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Did you download the prebuilt ones or did you select the tiles manually for all the countries you mentioned?

if you selected the tiles for the countries, then you'll just get one file to download (When you get the email saying it's made it for you) the .img file is what you need. Then pop it in the garmin folder on the SD card and that should be it. On the Garmin you then navigate to tools and maps and choose the new mapset.

Let me know if that doesn't work and I'll go grab mine off the bike and do it step by step for you.
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Thanks for the replies - I can work it so that I can copy the SD card that came with the Zumo (Western Europe) and replace the gmapsupp.img file but this means using separate cards for each country (5 countries, 5 cards). But I can't figure out how to load maps for more than one country into one card.

Do I need to go back to garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ to create one huge .img files for all 5 countries?

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

I've just checked on mine.

I have 2 maps on it and I believe you can only have 2 active maps at any one time. If you want 5 .img files, each for a country, then you'll either need 5 x cards, or connect it to a laptop and rename the files as you need them.

On mine, I have "Western Europe" which is on the Zumo's Internal MemoryGarmingmapprom.img (2.4GB)

Then i have a few other (Mongolia/Kazakhstan/Some of Russia) which I made by manually selecting the tiles. This .img file is on the SDCardGarmingmapsup1.img (3.3GB)

To flick between Western Europe and my Custom Maps I simply switch on the Zumo, Click "Tools" then "Settings" then "Maps" and then click the "Map Info" button. I can then place a checkmark to enable the appropriate map.

Make sense? The Javawa utility just combines .img files I think so you may as well just manually select the tiles you want on the openstreetmap site and get yourself a big .img. You won't need to include any of Western Europe remember as that's already on your device.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Rather than start a new topic I may as well continue with this one.

I've downloaded the OSM UK map and I can use it in Basecamp. I used "Install maps" in Basecamp and I can tick the map in
Setting > Map > Map Info.
However. If I untick the Garmin maps leaving the OSM map ticked then go to map on the Zumo there is just a blank white page.

How do I get the OSM map to display?
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

I use Mapsoutce, and have no problem using the Map Selection tool and Sending to Unit.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I went through the whole process again and now I have a 3D map on the Garmin.
To be honest it doesn't look much different to the Garmin map. :S
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Are you talking about the Garmin 3d map? The main differences are in cities like this for example in London, the 3d buildings:

317.jpg
317.jpg (242.23 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
As for the OSM maps not showing, that's odd. Have you perhaps downloaded the .img file rather and put that straight onto the garmin? That's how I do it and works ok for me.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

I forgot to click each "Tile" to import, so I imported a blank file. I'm in Rural Lancashire so can't see 3D buildings.

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”