Export routes from Google Maps to a Garmin device

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Wapping

Export routes from Google Maps to a Garmin device

Post by Wapping »

For all you folk who moan and cuss about BaseCamp and can't get on with Tyre but love Google Maps, here's a great guide on how to: Create a route in Google Maps Export it to your computer Open it in BaseCamp Check it in BaseCamp Export it to your Garmin device Check it on your Garmin device, and not least.... DRIVE IT! Have fun....
boboneleg

Re: Export routes from Google Maps to a Garmin device

Post by boboneleg »

I just had a go and it works !! it's a bit long winded but the video is an excellent step-by-step guide.

Cheers for the heads-up (thumbs)
one-legged adventurer
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

A good video, thanks for posting. Also, for those doing French trails, it'll also work on the France IGN Geoportail site, if you create your own "space". This is quite handy as it shows all the "Chemins" the French byway equivalents.
Not all those wandering are lost
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

pinball1008 wrote:A good video, thanks for posting. Also, for those doing French trails, it'll also work on the France IGN Geoportail site, if you create your own "space". This is quite handy as it shows all the "Chemins" the French byway equivalents.
That's handy to know (thumbs)
one-legged adventurer
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

I ought to add, on the IGN site, the line you draw doesn't "snap" to the roads like it did on google in the video. No big issue, just takes a little longer.
chrisjk

Post by chrisjk »

Thanks for the IGN tip. It works fine, although it's a bit of a pain to draw all the lines and fine tune if need be in Basecamp.

I find that the current OSM generic routable map for France seems to show the byways, so I am using this in Basecamp and on my Montana
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

chrisjk wrote:Thanks for the IGN tip. It works fine, although it's a bit of a pain to draw all the lines and fine tune if need be in Basecamp.

I find that the current OSM generic routable map for France seems to show the byways, so I am using this in Basecamp and on my Montana
I tried the open street map for a while, but there were lots of "Chemins" missing.

Return to “HOW TO..........”