Problems with the Sertao

The Things We Ride
dubber68

Problems with the Sertao

Post by dubber68 »

Isn't it always the way, just out of warranty and the problems start. A couple of weeks ago the bike wouldn't re-start after filling up with petrol so I thought Oh sh*t the dreaded hot start issue has raised it's ugly head but then she ran fine until tonight. Same problem to start with in that it wouldn't start after filling up. Waited for her to cool but no joy until eventually the battery went flat. Got my missus to come out with jump leads but still no joy. The nice RAC man turned up and Lo and behold she started with the jump leads and off I set with him following me to be sure. This is where it gets interesting as the bike would then just cut out and lose all lights and dash. No amount of trying with the jump cables would make it start then suddenly it would start and run for a while. The RAC man suggested a collapsing battery as no loose connections could be found.

What do the wise men of this manor think? Never heard of this before so open to input. I will as a matter of course check all connections etc tomorrow.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
Philiptigerrice

Re: Problems with the Sertao

Post by Philiptigerrice »

Whats the 'Hot Start' issue?

I've not heard of any Sertao dramas, it has such a lengthy pedigree with the Dakar before it & all the other 650 models. They've been made by the squillion, I'll watch this thread with interest!
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Philiptigerrice wrote:Whats the 'Hot Start' issue?

I've not heard of any Sertao dramas, it has such a lengthy pedigree with the Dakar before it & all the other 650 models. They've been made by the squillion, I'll watch this thread with interest!
On the early G650GS models there was an issue with the decompression cam being machined slightly out of tolerance which meant when the engine was hot they would not decompress sufficiently to allow it to start again until cool. Plenty on the net about it if you need more info.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

scouse

Post by scouse »

It could be your ECU - two batteries later that's what we pinned Jules' Twin spark electrickery issues to- but it is also possibly the battery or a loose connection.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

New battery time for sure, had the same on the XCountry ~ same engine and wiring system (thumbs)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
scouse

Post by scouse »

When I say loose I actully mean check to see that all soldered joints are OK.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
bull

Post by bull »

well, does it sound like its a battery problem,

I mean, does the battery sound like it doesn't have the power to start the engine,

if so the battery is probably fu*ked
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

Just ordered a Motobat high torque battery so hopefully that will solve it but will check all connections to be sure. 2 years and nearly 30k so a new battery won't hurt as the heated grips etc could be adding to a weak battery to cause issues. Charging at 14.3V so everything seems OK there.

dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

bull wrote:well, does it sound like its a battery problem,

I mean, does the battery sound like it doesn't have the power to start the engine,

if so the battery is probably fu*ked
Battery seems to turn over quite well but when hot these little donkeys require quite kick to get them running.

bull

Post by bull »

let me think

if it takes a lot of battery power to start the engine, and it does on a lot of the bigger bikes

then if the battery isn't up to scratch, it might not have enough power in it to start the engine

not saying that's the problem, but maybe

Return to “BIKES”