'Winkle' Brown

Had a GREAT service or buying experience with a vendor then post it up here.
yoda

'Winkle' Brown

Post by yoda »

Did any one see that documentary on bbc 2 last night about that Scottish pilot from ww2, what an amazing story and an incredible life, Not sure when it was made but he was 95 at the time, good on him.
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.
yoda

Re: 'Winkle' Brown

Post by yoda »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b045pbq2

note sure if this works but some info on the prog.
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Thanks for the link, I am going to watch that soon.
Just one small grumble. In the programme description, it follows the current trend of calling our German enemies in WW2 "Nazis" When the media talk about battles against the Italians they refer to our enemies as "Italians"
I think it is an attempt to distance our great friends the Germans from atrocities committed by the Nazi's in WW2.
But to me, to label all German solders, sailors and airman as Nazi's is an affront to memory of the decent German's who lost their lives in the conflict and indeed the ones still alive.
Political correctness!
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

He's wrote a book called "wings on my sleeve"

Very interesting tales of test-piloting etc...and how many of the post-war British aircraft industry's ideas were in fact German.
fullerton

Post by fullerton »

I saw that top bloke, never ever get tired of seeing these programs, kids of today should be made to watch them, ask any 16 year olds about the war and the reply would be is that ps wot eve, or nintendo.

Steve
bimota

Post by bimota »

superb that,

what a live he lead, talk about 9 lives.

great programme.
(thumbs) (thumbs)
Tredown

Post by Tredown »

The book is well worth a read, what a fantastic man !!!
yoda

Post by yoda »

Sad news, the old fella's passed away aged 97, not a bad innings for such and amazing life, RIP.

OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

SteveW wrote:Thanks for the link, I am going to watch that soon.
Just one small grumble. In the programme description, it follows the current trend of calling our German enemies in WW2 "Nazis" When the media talk about battles against the Italians they refer to our enemies as "Italians"
I think it is an attempt to distance our great friends the Germans from atrocities committed by the Nazi's in WW2.
But to me, to label all German solders, sailors and airman as Nazi's is an affront to memory of the decent German's who lost their lives in the conflict and indeed the ones still alive.
Political correctness!
That's a very good point, very well made. I can't disagree with the sentiment.
However, I think that the label Nazi is used as the fight was against that evil regime as a whole and not necessarily against good decent folk that were inevitably dragged in to the war and horrors.

My own Grandmother escaped persecution by the Nazis by getting to Britain with the community that she was part of.
Tonydurham

Post by Tonydurham »

A brave man who has done so much in his life - so much more interesting than any bl---l politician!

Return to “HEROES”