A change from Leathers; Looking for a recommendation.

Does my ass look big in these?
Celtic_Monkey

A change from Leathers; Looking for a recommendation.

Post by Celtic_Monkey »

Hi,

I'm looking for some clothing and would like to ask some advice or recommendations please.

I currently have a one-piece race leather also a basic leather jacket, neither fit very well anymore & having just returned to biking after an extended layoff I need something a bit more up to date & in keeping with my current bike.

Protection is obviously key, whilst I would also like the outfit to be light & waterproof.

I'm thinking of a two piece system, but am clueless with the current market offerings.

With the Gortex offerings do i need to consider under garments etc or are they suitable to go over T-Shit / Jeans etc...

Would welcome any advice.

Thanks
Earwig

Re: A change from Leathers; Looking for a recommendation.

Post by Earwig »

Starting point - http://adventurebikerider.com/reviews/c ... views.html

Loads of good textile kit about from RST, Klim, BMW etc, all dependant on you needs and budget :whistle:

Bit like asking about tyres :pinch:

Go to J&S or similar that carry different makes and have a look and chat to find out what you think. (thumbs)
micky1

Post by micky1 »

fowlers are having a sale. i just bought a rev it sand 2 jacket and i already bought a very good s/h set of sand 2 trousers off a mate who got fat and wore them twice! excellent kit cool without the liners, warm with.

£280 spent happy as a pig (thumbs)
Brads

Post by Brads »

Best gear I have ever used is the BMW Rallye 2 pro suit.

I have one, and thought about selling it as I have sold the current beemer, but to be honest, I would rather dye it black and keep it, cause nothing comes close to being as good
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
sidestand

Post by sidestand »

Dainese Goretex kit is very good.
Excellent waterproofing & the zips & fasteners are better thought out than most kit (thumbs)

Surprisingly inexpensive compared to a lot of kit as well.

I use this place

http://www.mcaleicester.co.uk
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I'll go off on a slight tangent and say that I prioritise comfort well above protection. If you've got the best protection in the World but you're uncomfortable you're more likely to make a mistake leading to an accident than you would do with a lesser degree of protection but you were comfortable and at ease when riding.

This can take a lot of forms but boots are a big one with me where heavy clunky brutes that would save you from anything can make gear changing and operating the back brake more awkward and more likely to leave you in a crumpled heap with nice safe toes but a smashed bike and maybe a few injuries.

Keeping warm (or cool) and dry is another one where if you're freezing your nuts off you tend to worry about that more than the issues around you on the road or if you're sweating like a rapist in a nunnery you start to go downhill quickly.

Just buy what feels right, doesn't hinder your movement and keeps you dry and at the right temperature and you'll be fine. Unfortunately that kind of kit doesn't come cheap but buy cheap, buy twice often works so take your time when choosing.
sven

Post by sven »

I've just bought a Rev It Sand 2 outfit from FC Moto in Germany for £412 delivered, which was £88 cheaper than Get Geared.

It seems to be very good quality and it's nice to have bike gear which fits after losing nearly 4 stone so far this year
Attachments
image_2014-09-15.jpg
image_2014-09-15.jpg (150.71 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
micky1

Post by micky1 »

sven wrote:I've just bought a Rev It Sand 2 outfit from FC Moto in Germany for £412 delivered, which was £88 cheaper than Get Geared.

It seems to be very good quality and it's nice to have bike gear which fits after losing nearly 4 stone so far this year
fair play sven. i love the outfit. mines black silver. lovely fit and warm / cool enough for me.
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

I would check out Halvarssons clothing before you buy anything, it's great kit that work's at a reasonable price and there safety clothing is second to none (thumbs)
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
Gas_Up_Lets_Go

Post by Gas_Up_Lets_Go »

Rederic wrote:I would check out Halvarssons clothing before you buy anything, it's great kit that work's at a reasonable price and there safety clothing is second to none (thumbs)
(thumbs) (thumbs)

I've just recently moved to Halvarssons and I'm very please.

I've always been a Hien Gerricke man, but before they went bang I did notice the quality was starting to slip (I have a Master jacket that is donkeys years old and is still water tight to this day). I started to look around, settling on Rukka after trying it at last years show. Halvarssons I would say is the same feel and quality, but half the price - if you don't buy it, certainly look at it and try it on.

I'm also of the opinion that there isn't a year round piece of kit (many will shout up now and disagree I'm sure), you just can'y have the same performance at -5 to keep you warm yet keep you cool at 25c. I have the RST Adventure jacket and pants for the summer, great cheap piece of kit, and the venting is unbeatable on the hot days.

I'm with AndyB on the comfort/protection argument. Its a case of active or passive protection. Stay warm/cool/dry or comfortable and you are free to pay more attention to what's going on = less chance of an incident. If you're cold/hot/wet then you are paying less attention. BUT, I always go for the best protection possible in the kit I find comfortable.

As an aside, and this is expensive (but what price do you put of your life?) Take a look at the AirVest ( http://www.helite-motorcycle-airbagjack ... acket.html ) I took the plunge last year at the NEC after trying one (and them setting it off). In essence, as you depart the bike it fills with air immobilising your spine and neck in time for you to hit the ground, after a few seconds it starts to deflate slowly. No one wants to think about crashing, but it happens, if there is something that can give you a better chance of survival, why wouldn't you consider it?
Mistakes are natures way of showing us we have more to learn

Return to “CLOTHING”