Warning other Motorcyclists about speed traps

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

Was out on Sunday at a very busy Hawes in the Dales and noticed a speed trap being set up (fairly sportingly as not hidden). For the next few miles I warned the oncoming bikers (they weren't going mad anyway) by waving my left hand up and down in the usual "slow down" manner and then spinning my hand as to indicate a rotating beacon (sounds daft but hopefully gave out the correct message). A couple of questions, should I make any attempt at warning others ? How would you do it ? My headlight is fixed "always on" so flashing, as cars do for such a situation, would bearly be seen. I don't mind speed cameras in towns near schools etc but this seemed a bit biased towards bikers, most of whom were riding very sensibly. I think there is more dangerous driving done by those on mobiles or tailgaters these days so would like to see that take higher priority than money earning speed traps.
Regards,
Martin
mark1150

Re: Warning other Motorcyclists about speed traps

Post by mark1150 »

Thumb down al la Cesare style is usually acknowledged as trap ahead.
It's quicker to get the message across, than waving and rotating the hand.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Tonydurham

Post by Tonydurham »

Onslowe - if a Police officer saw you doing this you could end up in court on a charge of Perverting the Cause of Justice and probably end up with a stiff fine.If you don't believe me do a Google search and you will find details of several news items about people doing the exact same thing.The chances of a Police officer seeing you are probably slim but sod's law it could happen !
Gas_Up_Lets_Go

Post by Gas_Up_Lets_Go »

Tonydurham wrote:Onslowe - if a Police officer saw you doing this you could end up in court on a charge of Perverting the Cause of Justice and probably end up with a stiff fine.
Yep.

However, warning someone of a danger in the road ahead is very different. "There was an animal loose officer, and I didn't want an accident to happen" Very difficult to prove otherwise, but say "I was warning of a speed trap" will land you in hot water.

Generally though, if I see someone riding like a t*t, I'll just let them ride straight into a speed trap - some people give motorcyclists a bad press. I'm quite happy for them to loose their license if it means a safer place for others.
Mistakes are natures way of showing us we have more to learn
dazcapri

Post by dazcapri »

mark1150 wrote:Thumb down al la Cesare style is usually acknowledged as trap ahead.
It's quicker to get the message across, than waving and rotating the hand.
This it's what the Wagon Drivers usually do
Rangoonruns

Post by Rangoonruns »

Thumb down
And I warn everyone for a couple of miles
The police can not do anything for doing a thumbs down to indicate to other road users you aren't happy about something
And we all know what something is don't we?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bowber

Post by bowber »

I warn other road users about a danger with a slow down gesture if they looked to be going at elevated speeds :whistle:

Steve
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I'll give a thumbs down to any bike or car I think might get nabbed.Have had a few car drivers save me in the past!
SSchultz

Post by SSchultz »

Tapping my lid a few times with the left hand..was I doing it wrong!? :blink:
lmg

Post by lmg »

onslowe wrote:Was out on Sunday at a very busy Hawes in the Dales and noticed a speed trap being set up (fairly sportingly as not hidden). For the next few miles I warned the oncoming bikers (they weren't going mad anyway) by waving my left hand up and down in the usual "slow down" manner and then spinning my hand as to indicate a rotating beacon (sounds daft but hopefully gave out the correct message). A couple of questions, should I make any attempt at warning others ? How would you do it ? My headlight is fixed "always on" so flashing, as cars do for such a situation, would bearly be seen. I don't mind speed cameras in towns near schools etc but this seemed a bit biased towards bikers, most of whom were riding very sensibly. I think there is more dangerous driving done by those on mobiles or tailgaters these days so would like to see that take higher priority than money earning speed traps.
Regards,
Martin
When I went by the Hawes speed trap (it was a plod 4x4 with the laser gun on a tripod) he had nabbed a car.

I try to warn anyone who i think is driving/riding too fast in the general vicinity. However there were so many crochrockets in Hawes I would looked like I was raving on my bike :woohoo:
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

Return to “HOW TO..........”