POP UP TENTS...

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
waynecoluk

POP UP TENTS...

Post by waynecoluk »

OK so I know there are shed loads of topics on tents but having had a quick look through the tent history cant find anything specific on pop up tents.
I'm going away in a couple of weeks solo touring and thought about buying one. I have a decent 3 man tent which packs small but putting it up at the end of the days ride can be a pain in the arse (for me anyway).
So the question is has anyone got a pop up they use or used in the past and how do they rate them? Are they time efficient and easy to use etc.
I reckon it would fit over the back seat and top of panniers without sticking out and I dont intend on camping if its going to be raining.
Go Outdoors have a 2 manner for 24.99.
What do you guys reckon?

Cheers
Wayne
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
vRSG60

Re: POP UP TENTS...

Post by vRSG60 »

The reviews aren't good with regard to weatherproof are they! They've put me off.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

i bought one from costco. works fine. 30sec to put up and fine for one guy and some kit. doesn't pack down as small as regular but so easy to put up. was waterproof. put the string on top and bang its up. if you have a costco card they normally have them in stock

edit: just looked on their website and they don't have one listed. might be some in store though.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

http://www.slumit.co.uk/index.html

have a look at these

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

I've got a Vango Dart 200 DS. Similar to the now available Pop DS.(different door)
The important feature here is the DS = Dual Skin.
It's high quality & about 3 times the price of the go outdoors cheapie.
Horses for courses, if you're only using it on a dry night then the festival quality will do.
BUT you get a lot of condensation on the inside of these tiddlers & my guess is a single skin will be DRIPPING..........on the inside, but it will be warm dripping from your lungs. :whistle:
Convenient they are & will travel as you're sugesting quite easily. (thumbs)
I use one regularly in the winter on a CCM 644 but I carry it in a big millitary waterproof roll top bag which cost 29 quid.
These tents were around for 50 quid.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
heavy

Post by heavy »

my mates and myself have been using these for the past 3 years now, in all weathers all over Europe, I also have a 2 man one for when the wife and I travel, iv made brackets that fit on the side of the panniers, so you don't even know its there, we use the querchea version, you can get them in the uk in outdoors. practise putting it up and down at home to get used to folding them down,
regards rikki (heavy)
Kinioo

Post by Kinioo »

heavy wrote:my mates and myself have been using these for the past 3 years now, in all weathers all over Europe, I also have a 2 man one for when the wife and I travel, iv made brackets that fit on the side of the panniers, so you don't even know its there, we use the querchea version, you can get them in the uk in outdoors. practise putting it up and down at home to get used to folding them down,
regards rikki (heavy)
Would love to see some pics of your brackets ?? Was thinking of doing it at some stage, as the flat oval-shape when packed acts as a kite when on top of my top box ?!
davsato

Post by davsato »

I've got an original quechua 2sec tent and its still going strong, I only use it with the car not the bike though because it packs into a disc 3' across.
Dave
heavy

Post by heavy »

hello kinioo, I will take pics of brkts for you and post ,
regards rikki
BrynS

Post by BrynS »

Redmurty wrote:http://www.slumit.co.uk/index.html

have a look at these

cheers Spud ;)
They look pretty cool... And the price isn't too bad either ;)

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”