Gear anxiety and a packing list

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Alun

Gear anxiety and a packing list

Post by Alun »

Okay, next Tuesday I head out for 10 days in the Alps and my partner has just brought up the touchy issue of 'packing'. History tells me she's bringing it up about 2 days too soon. Put simply, I'd rather stick a rusty nail in my eye than think about packing. I suffer from 'gear anxiety'...what to pack, how many, which ones, etc. etc.
So, this is how it usually goes on the morning of departure. I sit there looking at a bunch of stuff with sweat dripping off my brow and then, in a whiz of frustration just pack the 9 essential items; camera, socks, undies, wash bag, spare shirt and trousers (or shorts) tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat. The rest I reckon I can live without, borrow or buy and once out on the road, peace returns.
I know, I should do a packing list.
never2old

Re:Gear anxiety and a packing list

Post by never2old »

When it comes to clothes 'Im indoors has one rule for him and one for me.
For him: one set of clothing on, one spare set in top box to wear when washing/drying the first set, plus 1 pair waterproof trousers.
For me: "if it doesn't fit in that rucksack you can't take it".

I dream of panniers.....ah, one day! (SOON)
davsato

Post by davsato »

panniers, mmmm......panniers

i have the opposite trouble, i dont know what to bring to fill all my luggage!
i tend to get clothes that have dual purpose, obviously not pants and socks but lightweight trousers with zipoff legs, fleece with zipoff arms, yesterdays teeshirt is todays towel etc. then i can use what space i have left for armchairs and kitchen sinks.
Dave
Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

Any tips on what to take on my Morocco trip?

First aid kit,
spare bike bulbs,
12v Air pump,
Reversable pants etc.

I have a rough idea of kit needs although there is always a piece of kit you see another traveller with and think damn i could have done with one of those Camel driven tin openers.

Please any suggestions would be great.
Real men ride twins ;-)
scouse

Post by scouse »

For ten days away this time of year - I would just take 3 sets of clothing... one on - one in the wash and one spare.

I also take cheap supermarket underwear or old holey stuff and socks... wear them for a couple of days then dump them. By the end of the fortnight you end up with more space in the luggage to bring back wines and stuff :D

That and quick drying gear that can double up... like zip off trousers, technical tops and that merino stuff that you trialled. I give 'em a good spray with Microban before I go and they last for days :D Wash 'em when I can smell 'em :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
karnevil

Post by karnevil »

I tend to wards taking too much.But I am gradually weaning myself off!I take plenty of socks,I like to chande socks!my big problem is shoes.I like ankle boots which are usually quite heavy and bulky.One pair of boots can almost fill a pannier but the boots can be filled with stuff..Button up fly jeans are good as there is no worry of a zip failing!
Alun

Post by Alun »

Take a notepad, pens, camera and a good book. Plus a headtorch. And a Swiss Army knife or multitool jobbie. All the rest you can buy on the road - you could also buy the afore mentioned stuff if you forget.

The most important things to pack along for Morocco are an open mind, a smile and bog roll.
Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

Alun wrote:

The most important things to pack along for Morocco are an open mind, a smile and bog roll.[/quote]
:laugh: :laugh: I was thinking of calling my blog Moroccan Motions.
Real men ride twins ;-)
Watty

Post by Watty »

We found that it's not just what you take, but how you pack it. The best 'bit of kit' we had for our summer trip were a pair of 'MOTOPOUCH TOURLINERS' for my Multistrada's panniers. Those with an old Eastpak holdall that fits the top-box perfectly made packing and unpacking the bike a breeze. Overnight stuff in the holdall - get to the ferry, holdall comes out - helmets go in - trundle off up to our suite of cabins, easy. :)
MidnightSerenity

Post by MidnightSerenity »

Jim Lovell wrote:
Alun wrote:

The most important things to pack along for Morocco are an open mind, a smile and bog roll.
:laugh: :laugh: I was thinking of calling my blog Moroccan Motions.[/quote]

:laugh: :laugh: Don't forget the camera, as we need lots of photos right from the beginning of your adventure...on the morning you leave - start and return shots!!

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”