Poor old pillion riders

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Brenhden

Poor old pillion riders

Post by Brenhden »

Whilst out at Weston-Super-Mare today I watch several couples mount up and ride off on there various bikes: Hogs, road, sport, adventure. And every single one of them had the lady on the back and every one looked like it was a complete nightmare getting on there. Two nearly dropped the bike-lady combo during the manuevre. Do bike designers just not care?

Anyone take passengers on there bikes? Anyone pillion riders feel the same?
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Tonibe63

Re: Poor old pillion riders

Post by Tonibe63 »

Most of my riding is 2 up and have never dropped it whilst the pillion is getting on, sidestand down (just incase), I sit on bike and hold it upright, Wife stands with left foot on left pillion peg and puts her right leg over seat/between me and topbox. Couldn't be easier :unsure: .
I think they need to retrain the pillion
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Tonibe63 wrote:Most of my riding is 2 up and have never dropped it whilst the pillion is getting on, sidestand down (just incase), I sit on bike and hold it upright, Wife stands with left foot on left pillion peg and puts her right leg over seat/between me and topbox. Couldn't be easier :unsure: .
I guess its not all of them. However from rider 1 position you can't see the 'its a knock out' style shenanagins going on just behind you. Watching a lady get on a GSA with a big top box was terrifying even from where I was sat. I was desparate to go and help but wasn't sure I would be well recieved.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
special one

Post by special one »

My wife has been pillion loads of times on thousands of miles, never had an issue tbh, my wife uses my foot peg to get on, I always make sure my feet are spread wide and flat on the ground so it's a stable platform.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Too many people that don't know what they are doing :laugh:
Rederic

Post by Rederic »

This pillion seemed to have no problem :laugh:
20140312_142743.jpg
20140312_142743.jpg (45.74 KiB) Viewed 1513 times
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
herman

Post by herman »

Top box makes it a bit of an art as do high pegs. I had a very nice Z1000 which the wife went on once and that was it due to the peg/seat closeness. As said, feet planted flat and the front brake on, pillion uses your shoulder as a steady. However, if your new good looking friend asks you if they can go on the back of your bike then they can get on however they choose :)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I think you need to make sure your pillion is good at getting her leg over ;) :laugh:
steve172

Post by steve172 »

My girlfriend doesn't have a problem getting on and off my Transalp. She does have quite long legs though so it's not much of a stretch for her. If anything, I find it more nerve-racking than she does. Never dropped it whilst she gets on or off either but it does feel a bit wobbly from time to time.
Moorso
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@alternate-road

Post by Moorso »

My other half is tiny, but we've never had a problem. I spread my feet on the ground wide for good steady base, she gets on the bike like you would a horse. Left foot on the left peg and leg up and over....all good.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@alternate-road
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the FjΓΆrd'

Return to β€œTHE PUB”