Horizons Unlimited HUBB UK Overlanding event 19th to 22nd of June

Planning a little soiree, then post it up here. And please, no commercial stuff, this forum is about people not products or services - send us a press release.
Travelling Sam

Horizons Unlimited HUBB UK Overlanding event 19th to 22nd of June

Post by Travelling Sam »

I’ve had some messages asking why I’ve not been posting about the HUBB UK much on ABR. Oh bum. And there was me not wanting to take the Mick!!! I did do one small post when Nathan put the date in the last issue of ABR (thanks Nathan (thumbs) ) but have steered clear since then. I thought you guys knew what was happening so…

The nudges I’ve been given make me realise that it’s time for an update! So what’s happening? And what’s it all about?

2014 is the 14th year that this get together has happened. The aim is to 'inspire, inform and connect' people who are interested in long distance travel.

It’s just 70 days left to go until kick off at the Donington Park Farmhouse Hotel. If you’ve not been before, this is just next to the Donington Race circuit. Easy to find! You’ll find info on that on the HUBB UK 2014 website.

How much and what do you get for your loot? If you book and pay before June 12th then you can nab a 4-day pass for £65. This is the same rate for the 3rd year running now. :) The sponsors (thanks guys) have made that possible. What do you get for your £65? You get to camp in one of 5 fields. The Main, the West, the North, the Dog field and the No Talking field. Most of the fields are tree lined and you can tuck yourself away into corners if that’s what you’d like to do. The fields gently slope but no more rolling down hill at this place and there’s loads of space. You can do your own barbecues too – just got to keep them off the grass. :dry:

1IMG_8080prs.jpg
1IMG_8080prs.jpg (642.04 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

4 wheeled vehicles in the shot? If it has wheels and you plan to travel long distance then you are welcome. The majority of people coming do so on bikes but last year we had some very trick expedition vehicles turn up and several people on bicycles too! All makes for interesting viewing!

4 days? Most people come for the full 4 days of the HUBB UK. Why? Because over the 4 days there will be over 150 sessions of presentations and demonstrations, competitions, the Slow Bike Race (a complete hoot) the Skills Course (new stuff happening on this really popular course) and…

2IMG_8849psr.jpg
2IMG_8849psr.jpg (565.84 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

If you can’t make it for the full 4 days, then you can snag a ticket for Thursday/Friday (camping Thursday night only) or for Saturday/Sunday (camping Saturday night only) but grab the 4-day option if you can.

What's on? Of course there’s Danny and Smokin Fil’s Roadkill cookout. Yep, that’s what they mean! And you never know what these two are going to feed you! It’s loads of fun. And yes, that is Roadkill Trout – Ask Danny! :whistle: You’ll find them in the Orchard area of the Paddock and that’s also where you’ll find the live music on both Friday and Saturday nights.

3RoadkillFilandDannyandFishpsr.jpg
3RoadkillFilandDannyandFishpsr.jpg (214.24 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

The TRF are organising Rideouts this year too but more on that when we have the info. And you’ll even find a corner store on site. The guys there can stock you up the necessities!

In the court yard you’ll find the HU Store and the huge raffle that happens each year. This year we are all supporting ShelterBox. These guys stock up and send out plastic tubs full of emergency kit for areas hit by disaster. The boxes contain a large tent, blankets, cooking gear and so on. Why them? Well, many of us have or will travel through areas where disaster hits! Check ‘em out. A great cause for overlanders to support.

You’ll also find authors book signing and Film makers DVD signing in the courtyard. Amongst those you’ll find Bernard Smith, Paul Holroyd, Graham Field, Dom Giles, Steve Holmes, Dave Cornthwaite, Tom Allen and more. (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs)

Breaking News! Kevin Turner is going to be launching his new book, ‘From Crystal Palace to red Square’ at the HUBB UK!!! :woohoo:
4IMGKevinTurnerBookCover.jpg
4IMGKevinTurnerBookCover.jpg (183.15 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

And well, I could go on. It’s all on the HUBB UK website, real ale bar, the restaurant which serves bar type food - both meat and veggie, an amazing selection of exhibitors of overlanding kit and…

If you didn’t manage to get to the HUBB UK last year, this YouTube film will give you a taste of the atmosphere.
[video][/video]
5IMG_8972psr.jpg
5IMG_8972psr.jpg (503.2 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
7IMG_8668psr.jpg
7IMG_8668psr.jpg (508.61 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
8IMG_4055psr.jpg
8IMG_4055psr.jpg (551.98 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
david

Re: Horizons Unlimited HUBB UK Overlanding event 19th to 22nd of June

Post by david »

If your thinking of a Trip somewhere. You will either meet or hear a presentation that informs you more than any forum...........as they have sometimes just got back. You'll learn something new and the Real Ale is fabulous.
DSCF2640.jpg
DSCF2640.jpg (73.98 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
My favourite chat over a cup of tea was with a couple in their 60's. They drove a Old 110 Land Rover from Cape Town. The guys next to them were about to do this, in a very flash Land Rover that cost more than the other couple had spent in total; incl vehicle. I think after the wknd, they were re planning :laugh:
Its a fun event and worth the effort of going............especially if you like Plane spotting :dry:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Interesting stuff!
The advert for "Crystal Palace to Red Square", I wonder if the author is "Utaka" I seem to recall he supports Crystal Palace.
James691

Post by James691 »

Hiya Sam,

It's never taking the mick to let us know about the wonderful work that Horizons Unlimited is doing - ABR, you and HU have a long standing relationship that we are very proud of and keen to share ;)

Anyone that has not been to a HU meeting is in for such a treat! Having been a past presenter myself and I can testify to the amazing time you will have and the glorious stories that you will hear about.

I look forward to seeing many ABR regulars at the meet this year - get those tickers cleaned.

See you all there!

Sam, please keep us updated with HU news and what you're up to yourself mate.

Speak soon

James
Dancing in the moonlight
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Looks really good :) Pity in clashes with ABR's own http://adventurebikerider.com/forum/118 ... -2014.html :angry:

See you in Scotland if your not at the HUBB :evil: B)
Travelling Sam

Post by Travelling Sam »

Yep, the clash is a darned shame! Earwig, perhaps next year we can organise things so we can be at both events! :) Grant and Susan from Horizons Unlimited usually announce the date of the HUBB UK in August-September time.

James and David, thanks for the (thumbs) (thumbs) Looking forward to seeing you guys again.

By the way, this morning I can't see the Youtube from last year on the first post I did. Can everyone else see it?

One of my favourite shots from last year is this one. These four were setting off on their trips around the world from the HUBB UK last year. Of course we gave 'em a good send off!

10SettingoffroundtheworldfromtheHUBBUKps.jpg
10SettingoffroundtheworldfromtheHUBBUKps.jpg (584.75 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Travelling Sam

Post by Travelling Sam »

I also like this shot. A few people thought Steve was taking the p*** by rocking up on this. Then they found out he'd ridden the Cross Egypt Challenge on a scooter. He's also ridden the Trans Am and so on. Like his style.
9IMG_8079Bakermanpsr.jpg
9IMG_8079Bakermanpsr.jpg (482.57 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Travelling Sam

Post by Travelling Sam »

Did any of you see the write up Chris Scott did on the HUBB UK 2013, and the bikes that were there?

Of course, not everyone will agree with everything he says, but Chris being Chris he makes some very interesting observations. 'Brits might be classified as more experimental and eccentric.' Than those adventure riders in North America he means. Really? Us lot eccentric? :woohoo:

You can read the Article HERE.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Hi Sam,

Your Youtube video is still there in your post and plays just fine on my Mac.

I had intended to attend the HUBB this year for the first time but been invited to go over to Normandy for a week from the 20th. It's strange to think that after so many holidays driving cars in Europe this will be the first time on a motorbike - bit of a milestone really so I've got to go haven't I?

The HUBB looks a cracking event so will try to make it next year.

Hope you all have good weather and a most excellent time.

Paul :)
Travelling Sam

Post by Travelling Sam »

Hi Paul, darned shame you can't make it but what a brilliant reason!!! I've still not ridden in Norway but it's very firmly on my list of places to get to.

Next year for the HUBB UK with luck and next time I'll get the info up far earlier.

And, thanks for the 'its still there' on the Youtube. Weird, showing up here now too.

Return to “MEETS & RUNS”