Overtaking inside double white lines - allowable?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
skipper

Re: Overtaking inside double white lines - allowable?

Post by skipper »

if the authorities continue to hanker after super safe roads by constantly reducing speed limits to ridiculously low levels and adding solid white lines on strait roads then how do they expect people to respect them.I believe that many of these changes are no more than petty officials justifying their job by showing that they are doing something, and when all the good ideas are used up they still have to do something its the way society is these days.
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

It's getting beyond a joke.

Round here all the speed limits have been reduced to 50mph... Why? I haven't got a clue because most people (when I'm in my Hilux) seem to do 40mph anyway. Then when you hit a 30mph limit they are then breaking the law doing 35-40mph? :unsure:

Solid white lines everywhere. There is a stretch of road that is often backed up from a set of lights that's on my way home from work. If your in a car you can be stuck in it 25 minutes. On a bike, if you cross the double whites you can be through it in a few minutes. Admittedly, the traffic is stationary in phase with the lights. So I suppose technically this could be called filtering as people are sat in their cars waiting for the traffic to move. But where do you stand if you are overtaking? - Filtering? this stationary traffic crossing the double whites? If your lucky there is room to get past without crossing the lines, but most people seem to sit on the line and up the next cars arse so room is very limited.
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Cross a solid white line when filtering and the traffic you are passing has to be stationary (or a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle under 10mph), but even if it is crawling along, and you keep your speed within about 10 mph of the traffic you are passing MOST coppers will turn a blind eye.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “HOW TO..........”