Rear Break Caliper Not Bleading

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
numptyspence

Rear Break Caliper Not Bleading

Post by numptyspence »

Nice weather so i though i would change the break fluid (it nearly due)

got to the last bleed nipple(The one at the very back) and nothing comes out I took both banjo bolts off and tried to see if i could get break fluid to flow

one did with the rear break pedal, and the other a very little bit but i had to pull the front break and push the front down to get it to that little bit.

I was using a vacuum pump and it worked fine on all the other nipples

Ill order a kit to rebuild the caliper if necessary but before that any ideas ??

The bike is a Honda Varadero 2005 with ABS, its has the linked breaks.
minkyhead

Re: Rear Break Caliper Not Bleading

Post by minkyhead »

mmm a bit puzzling that spence ...

if it was working before you started its almost certainly air ..

i would try it from the levers ..tyhe old fashioned way .. have you got the order right ..
it will answer a question . if the systems charged you should get a immidiate discharge at the calliper
if the bakes were working ok before you should get fluid through straight away ..
i think the vacume ones agreat for dry systems but a one way bleed valve does a real good job omn most bikes ..no opening or closing

if you have the bajos off you will have to start from scratch im afraid as they will be sucking air like fury on the levers
i dont know waht you have done spence i did me mk 1 the old fashioned way
and it was ok

on a simple system pumping the resivour near almost dry y and a tiny blob of food dye or quink shows up when its through on a clear discharge pipe
..but on the vara with twenty eight miles of piping i wouldnt go there as its water based ..

if this helps or not i dont know
its from the book of words

the order

left front caliper upper valve front lever

right front caliper upper valve front lever

left front lower valve rear pedal

right front lower valve rear pedal

rear caliper front valve read pedal

rear caliper rear bleed valve rear pedal

with me xr 250 i used to fill it with chip fat :( and hit it with a hammer :woohoo:

thats progress iguess
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

You could try reverse bleeding the system, it seems to work well as the air in the system is rising to the highest point rather than being pushed to the lowest.

To do this find an oil can (one with the thumb pumpy thing) clean it out (spotless) and fill with brake fluid, connect a piece of small bore pipe to the end and fix in place with a cable tie and connect the other end to the nipple also with a cable tie.

Depress the brake pedal and hold down so to open the master cylinder ( this will also stop the seals reversing) gently pump the fluid up to the resevoir this should remove any air and you will end up with nice fresh fluid hopefully.

Good luck mate. :)
Real men ride twins ;-)
numptyspence

Post by numptyspence »

Thanks for the tips guys

i have done this before, but who knows i could have buggered up the order

ill try again and see what happens

Thanks again
Possu

Post by Possu »

Check to see if your caliper pistons are seized?

Return to “TECHNICAL”