Best Get Off. On Road Only (happens too often off road).

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
daytona-supersport

Best Get Off. On Road Only (happens too often off road).

Post by daytona-supersport »

Come on we have all done it. Lets hear about your most memorable get off.
Last year chucking to BM down the road was a good one. As I slide along the mud slick road watching the bike going ahead of me. I recall thinking, Don't flip over, don't flip over. The sparks were pretty though. Sort of festive. :laugh:

Dumped a Guzzi V1000 yonks ago. It had full crash bars front and rear. When it went down I'm pretty sure it took off like a toboggan faster than when it was upright.

Slid off a Guzzi Lemon 3 on a roundabout over the M6. The diesel was awash on the road.
My passenger went past me on my right hand side as I leant right over trying to hold onto and control the sliding bike. Had to let the bike go eventually rather than getting tangled up with it.
A police car came along and the copper stepped out of the car and almost went arse over tit. Checked we were Ok and put a call through to traffic / council to get the road cleaned.
I thought the bike was OK after a bit of a look over in the street light. We got back on and carried on. Came up to some road works, tried the brakes and sod all happened. the foot brake lever, (linked brakes), was jammed on top of the exhaust pipe. Straight through the bollards and away. Did not mention a problem until I dropped of my passenger. Laugh, she went bonkers. :whistle:

There's a lot of laughs to be had on a motorbike.
Elle

Re: Best Get Off. On Road Only (happens too often off road).

Post by Elle »

daytona-supersport wrote:Dumped a Guzzi V1000 yonks ago. It had full crash bars front and rear.
A G5? I had one of those for 21 years! (thumbs) Never crashed it though :)

Most memorable - riding a Guzzi V50 in the back streets of Bristol
One minute I was following friends & then I was heading towards the kerb with the throttle stuck open. In my head, I planned to aim for the kerb, ride the pavement then rejoin the road.
What actually happened is that I mounted the kerb, then demolished someone's garden wall. I was knocked unconscious for a few minutes. When I woke, friends were around, an ambulance had been called.
I was wearing a leather jacket, corduroy jeans, knee length leather stiletto boots (no bike boots for ladies back then). My jacket was torn apart. My jeans were in shreds. My boots were damaged beyond repair. I had a badly cut knee.
At the hospital, the police were summoned - they wanted to know whether I'd been drinking. No. Said I'd been inches away from a lamppost and lucky to be alive.
They patched up my knee & despite the concussion sent me home.
On examination, the only fault that could be found with the bike was a blown front tyre. I'm always careful to check tyre pressures ever since :ohmy:
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
samz

Post by samz »

Had quite a few Guzzi's, my Le Mans crashed well... a few times. :whistle:
Tim Cullis

Post by Tim Cullis »

My last one was in the mid 1960s on a Lambretta GT225. It was mid winter, I reached the city limit which was also where they had stopped gritting, and went sliding down the icy road on my backside.
"For sheer delight there is nothing like altitude; it gives one the thrill of adventure
and enlarges the world in which you live," Irving Mather (1892-1966)

Access the Morocco Knowledgebase

Return to “HOW TO..........”