Invasion of Scotland Part 1

Where you've been and what you done
James691

Invasion of Scotland Part 1

Post by James691 »

glen8.jpg
glen8.jpg (29.05 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

This will not be a very long report I'm afraid as the sun is out on this Sunday morning and so I will take my last day off and go ride somewhere nice :) But I wanted to share the day that I had yesterday 09 April 2011.

An impromptu ride to Scotland, perhaps to Oban or take in the Galloway Forest Park was about the only idea ranged on this and I met up with Lancaster Mick at Tickle Trout for 9am. I was up at 5am all school boy giddy that I was about to go riding on my bike. I ride just about everyday and have done for years but I still get Christmas excited about going on a ride!

Sitting at the now fully open Trickle Trout services I filled up and grabbed a drink as I waited for Mick. Other riders had pitched up waiting to go on rides with friends and I went over and chatted for a while. They would be heading off to Wenslydale, you know the Cheese place!

But then Mick turned up on his shiny new GS1200 BMW and a huge grin on his face, he was rightly proud of his new girl. I’ve never sat on a GS before to be honest I was surprised how light they are. They look clumsy arse beasts to me with those big metal things hug out the front sides! But not true as she actually felt very flickable!

We would have a quick chat in the morning sun over some nicotine and went for the idea of the Galloway Forest Park but take the non motorway route - glorious.

Zipping up the A6 and some old back roads the sun shone, the bikes roar and the fields zipp past, outlined with slate gray stone wall and the odd privet hedge system. Dips, lifts, distressed tarmac, chicane and flats all these to play with.

I had not used the A6 to that extent and was loving the small villages and nestled churches that pop into view every so often in the Lancashire countryside.

I got a little carried away as I gassed out of the curves taking pole position and could see Mick taking the lines I did. He must have thought that I knew what I was doing! For the most part I do but then entering a chicane on the sat nav I banked and was ready to power out of turn two to come up the hill but there was no hill and it was a dip. A dip that was attached to another chicane!

Now in the wrong position I was greeted with a Landrover Discovery coming the other way. There is a nasty little condition that bikers can have called Target Fixation, you ride at the thing you are looking at! I was looking at the front grill of a big arse car! Only for a second but that’s a long time on a bike. Hitting the brakes and banking hard away as I forced myself to look away to the side and try and see if Mick was about to mount me and my bike I dropped to about 10 mpg and about an inch on my side of the white line!

At the T junction ahead we roared laughing at my screw up on the bends and Mike spoke of how pleased with his new double disk brakes he was!

We sliced up the English countryside past river and dale and fields of budding green crops before a small town would come and go with the old sand brick buildings and large pub features.

Time for a snack and we stopped off at someplace up North, I was not keeping track of names to be honest and just loving the ride and the roads, Mick may know where we had stopped.

A quick plate of chips as the Pub BBQ was still raw and sitting in the sun with the protection of the Pub brolly some guy came over to ask if were part of the ride out for some lad that had died? We knew nothing about this and it seemed that about 400 bikers would soon be here to lead a ride. It was good to hear that the Devil’s Deciples and the Satan Slaves would be going are still going strong but we scoffed the chips and head off. Not wanting to be cutting past a slow bike ride of 400 strong to get out of the town!

On to Scotland and all in all it would be around 180 miles of A and B roads that we had cut up. It was not until we hit the A75 I think it was that I could see a man walking along, white t-shirt and logging something over his shoulder. Not shock there as many people take a walk and I cut out to the middle to give plenty of room. Only when I got to about 10 metres of him that I could see what he was lugging around and I almost came off the bike!

It was a bloody crucifix!! A full size wooden crucifix and nothing around for about 30 miles that I had covered. Where the fuck was he going with a crucifix?? I had thought to ask but the 1000 yard stare on his face and the real Infantry on a mission march to his gait just sent the message of ‘leave me alone’ less I be killed as ‘God told him to!’.

Mick and I stopped at a Tea room at New Galloway and asked if both had seen what we thought we had seen walking down the road. Mick mentioned it was Lent and I rather lapsed on the whole Christian thing and thought back. Pancakes and fish on Friday was all I could come up with, giving up sweets and doing a collection for the Good Shepherd fund, there was no mention of marching your arse in the sun with a full size chunk of Cedar! Each to their own and I hope he got to where he was going - I just hope it was not for someone else that God had told him to nail up!! I had a vision of him getting tired and turning up at a hotel asking if they could ’put him up for the night’ and it made me laugh out loud.

Onwards we go to the Park, it was an amazing place with the most fun roads that I have been on for some time now. The Queens Road or something like that is the main road that cuts past the trail into the main body of the park. You will find that here there are many places to stop and get snaps and there are many visitor centres too! I was looking for the GlenTrool centre.

This is not on the satnav and you have to plot and plan the damn thing but it takes nothing away from the beauty of the 300 square miles of play ground for you and your bike!

We had made it to the place but I was looking for the lodge as part of the Adventure Bike Rider Nature Rally and could I find it? Could I buggery!! The only thing that was on the map for the OS was down as a Private home and no through fare. So I popped down there and on this small beautiful area where a few houses that sat on the Loch shore and an old gray building falling into disrepair.

The Lodge has closed down and the visitor centre is a new affair about 3 miles back. I recommend you still go down towards the Loch as you get some great views and there is the Bruce Stone to have a look at. Seems there was a battle in the Glen where the Bruce started a 7 year campaign against the English - I’m sure you have all seen Braveheart!!

Here are some snaps I got of the Park and I would have gotten more but due to the amazing roads I just could not bring myself to pull over and Mick agreed. Once you are riding this place with hawks sailing over head, dark hills jutting up to the crystal blue sky and a mix of surface that ranged from gravel to sleek tarmac - you just don’t want to stop riding. There are curves and twisty bends for just mile upon glorious mile of natural wonder waiting for you. The odd biker comes the other was with a cheery wave as you plod along at about 50 mph just soaking in how good it is to be a biker.

glen 1.jpg
glen 1.jpg (133.17 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
glen2.jpg
glen2.jpg (118.77 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
glen3.jpg
glen3.jpg (95.21 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
glen4.jpg
glen4.jpg (125.57 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
glen5.jpg
glen5.jpg (72.21 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
glen6.jpg
glen6.jpg (45.83 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
glen7.jpg
glen7.jpg (127.86 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
glen9.jpg
glen9.jpg (80.75 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
glen10.jpg
glen10.jpg (134.26 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
glen11.jpg
glen11.jpg (43.45 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
glen12.jpg
glen12.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

glen13.jpg
glen13.jpg (93.95 KiB) Viewed 2220 times

All too soon to head back and I would to spend perhaps a long weekend or week just playing up in Scotland to take in the Isles and Parks that she has to offer.

Get out there and enjoy it - take food!! It can be a bugger to find something to eat ;o)
Dancing in the moonlight
Treadtrader

Re: Invasion of Scotland Part 1

Post by Treadtrader »

Another of your fine ride reports James, and the usual quality pics we've come to expect.

Nice that this one was'nt under "contract" to ABR mag! :lol: :lol:

Now come on Mick, let's hear your version. :lol:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
James691

Post by James691 »

Cheers TT - we now have the weather to enjoy it ;) Glad you enjoyed the report mate, it's a lot different that a mag article :lol: I'm pleased with the camera, at £50 and 14mpix it seems to be doing ok. Even with my very limited ability! :lol:
Dancing in the moonlight
WyreFlyer

Post by WyreFlyer »

Excellent post James, it's got me chomping at the bit for my trip up there in May. 5 days and 1700 miles planned :woohoo:
James691

Post by James691 »

WyreFlyer wrote:Excellent post James, it's got me chomping at the bit for my trip up there in May. 5 days and 1700 miles planned :woohoo:
Cheers Buddy :) YOu are going to have an excellent time of it!

You got the route that I could have a look at? Just got back from a ride about Southport and now looking at a Scotish trip route myself :woohoo:
Dancing in the moonlight
Alphadog43

Post by Alphadog43 »

Great report :)

"I had a vision of him getting tired and turning up at a hotel asking if they could ’put him up for the night"

:woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cheer: :P
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

What a day folks! Good company and great roads!

I'd heartily recommend a run up the A6 and over to Galloway making sure to include the Queens Highway (also mentioned by Tramp on another thread).

So the day started off with my hand going ALL the way through my old gloves. Not a problem, Ghostbikes were 5 mins away from the meet up point; so I picked up a new pair of Spada's for £12 and set off to meet James.

Half an hour up the A6 and constantly working the sunny day traffic, I started to get bored of the slog. So at the next lights pulled onto the back lanes over to Glasson Dock and back into Lancaster. Unfortunately, James didn't quite catch my mumblings at the lights as they turned green so I shouted left, he set off straight, so I set off resigned to traffic, he looked over, hearing my shout so I started to turn left to show the diversion. He kept straight so I straightened up as well. Then he checked his area and turned a sharp left to catch the junction, leaving me (already on his inside) to run him down or turn sharper left. We survived, pulled up and had a good laugh about 30feet of shite communication, shite manouvers and generally looking like a right couple of dopey twats! :laugh:

On then to the roads. Just great. The new bike is a dream. A lovely mix of grace and power (and as James has already mentioned, very good brakes! :) ).
The morning went on and as we got closer to the Hartside Cafe catchment area, we started courteously working our way past what I'm assuming were seasonal bikers on racing bikes as they gingerly headed out into the sunshine. They looked about as relaxed as a groom on a stag night with his rugby buddies, but at least they're out.
A lunch break in Carlisle was cut short by a lack of confidence in the cooking speed skills of our chosen pub chef and, as James mentioned, the planned rideout of four hundred solemn and no doubt evangelical bikers looking for anyone to annoy them. We figured working our through the procession wouldn't be conducive to a pleasant day and promptly fecked off!
Scotland was having it's annual sunny day (only kidding indigenous folks, after living there for a few years I now realise there's two! :) ) so we got to experience some absolutely spot on roads in a rarely dry state. The views just got better and better and the roads were quiet enough to enjoy them.
Seeing a bloke in the middle of nowhere (seriously, in the middle of NOWHERE!!) lugging a large wooden cross was a bit strange to say the least. My first thought was "Psycho!", my second thought was "hang on, it's a big cross, sure...but once in the ground, there's no way it's gonna hold his weight!" I'll be honest folks, I lost a lot of respect for him at that point. That cross should've been twice the size (unless of course, it was a special adventure cross with useful camping compartments!).
From talking afterwards, it turned out we both had the same set of thoughts...that'd make a great photo....yeah, but he's obviously not right in the head....best just keep riding. ;)
Glentrool was magnificent, and it was nice to bag another park, if only to keep on the back of "Sparks" who's bagging them with an enviable determination! ;)
After that we headed back down the Queens Highway (yes, it's THAT good!) and barring a quick pause to move a car battery dropped in the middle of the road (must have been a motor home with a loose compartment because the other had been on the verge a couple of miles back!) we continued to cruise through some outstanding countryside on exceptional roads. B)
Now this following piece of information might disturb a few people, and of course, James and I are in no way afficianados of the local amenities; but finding a pub for something to eat proved almost impossible. A lot of former pubs en-route but nothing like it used to be obvioiusly. We finally found a "bar" :whistle: in Annan only to be told they'd finished serving. :pinch:
A trip to costcutters for a flacid cheese butty and some grey pasties and we were back on the road.
So time for home, onto the motorway and time to crunch some miles proper Easy Rider, one-lane-a-piece, stylee (but maybe a little brisker ;) ).
Nice one James....until next time mate. Ride safe.

Photo0214.jpg
Photo0214.jpg (78.97 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Photo0212.jpg
Photo0212.jpg (71.81 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
:)
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung
WyreFlyer

Post by WyreFlyer »

James691 wrote:
WyreFlyer wrote:Excellent post James, it's got me chomping at the bit for my trip up there in May. 5 days and 1700 miles planned :woohoo:

You got the route that I could have a look at? Just got back from a ride about Southport and now looking at a Scotish trip route myself :woohoo:
I can't take any credit for the route as it's Southport Superbikes 21st Annual Tour Of Scotland, my fourth time on the trip. Only 52 of us meeting up this year!
Got a hard copy of this years route but not the Garmin plot yet.
James691

Post by James691 »

An absolute pleasure Mick :) and I forgot about that 'left...what?....left.....what?.....LEFT..... Arghhh!! YOU SAID LEFT! moment at the lights. That was funny!! Strange how the traffic held back while weaved around the junction like two of the White Helmets display team on Acid. :huh: :laugh:

And I'm sure those Sport Bike riders didn't mention holding up two Adventure Riders! :blush: To be fair and polite we did show the lights and wait for them to pull to the side to let us pass for rather a few turns but nothing doing.

It's not the bike under the rider, it's the rider on the bike....just ask Mr Minky when you catch up to him, he'll be halfway down a brew by the time you do.

Cheers Mick, a most enjoyable day past Hogworts indeed my friend :)
Dancing in the moonlight
James691

Post by James691 »

WyreFlyer wrote:
James691 wrote:

I can't take any credit for the route as it's Southport Superbikes 21st Annual Tour Of Scotland, my fourth time on the trip. Only 52 of us meeting up this year!
Got a hard copy of this years route but not the Garmin plot yet.
That's cool, is there a website where I can have a look at the planned route mate? :) Cheers
Dancing in the moonlight

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”