Sleeping bag for touring

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Alun

Sleeping bag for touring

Post by Alun »

I've been checking out summer weight sleeping bags over the past month. The sort of kit that's perfect for a European tour taking in the Alps where the temps might just nip down to somewhere near freezing, especially when camping up high.

Excluding the price the choice comes down to...down or a man made fill. Down bags come with the advantage of a lower weight and pack size. Basically you get more warmth than for the same weight bag constructed with a man made or synthetic fill. The big disadvantage with down is if it gets wet it is absolutely bloody useless and takes forever to dry. That said, a wet synthetic bag is no more comfortable.

Overall, I tend to favour a down sleeping bag, what about you?
E.T.

Re:Sleeping bag for touring

Post by E.T. »

Definitely Down. Alpkit is a very small company(though getting bigger) outfit that does quality kit to compete with the bigger known brands...at a far cheaper price.

I have a flat airic sleeping mat (self inflating) a down sleeping bag £100 but really high quality filling...just happens to be orange, which is great for a KTM rider :laugh:

Tent is next on the shopping list, my current one is getting a little tired.

www.alpkit.com

(I'm not in anyway affiliated to them, can't even tell you where they are based...twas online ordering where I got my stuff)
Nessmuk

Post by Nessmuk »

Thumbs up for Alpkit from me. I've had one of their Alpine dream 500 down bags for nearly three years now. Claimed to be good to -5.

I use loads and it squashes right down to a tiny little ball, yet has kept me warm in -8 nights. A silk liner helps to keep it clean and gets an extra couple of degrees out of it. I use it in all but the warmest months and wouldn't be without it.

It's a little smelly now but that's kind of comforting. :P

I know quite a few people who have Alpkit bags and of them has nothing but good things to say about them.
scurrell

Post by scurrell »

As you lose about 75% of your body heat through contact with the ground, your choice of mat is just as important (if not more so) than the sleeping bag.

Not cheap :ohmy:, but the Exped Down Mat's are the business - especially the Exped 9 Deluxe!
"It was only the beer talking, but what it said made perfect sense..."

Alun

Post by Alun »

Good post scurrell, I've come across many people who've spent upwards of £200 on a sleeping bag and £10 on a substandard mat which sort of defeats the object. I wrote a feature for Adventure Travel a few years back on all the things you can do to keep warm at night when out in the wilds - I'll see if I can dig it out and post it up here.

One of the biggest misconceptions is that the prime loss of heat is through the head. This has been disproved by studies carried out by the US forces. That's not to say that wearing a comfy fleece hat doesn't help, but not as much as people think. It's factors such as keeping hydrated, eating well etc. which are often overlooked.
Nessmuk

Post by Nessmuk »

Alun wrote:
It's factors such as keeping hydrated, eating well etc. which are often overlooked.
Have you ever read 98.6 degrees; the art of keeping your ass alive? One of Cody Lundins main points is keeping hydrated, that allows the body to do it's thing and keep body temperature regulated.

A good book, well worth a read.

Post by 03001978 »

Down sleeping bag all the way.

It is so important to consider your sleeping bag and most expensive isnt always best.

OK in Scotland temperatures above 10C is never usually a consideration but an uncomfrtable night can be had of being too hot as well as being too cold.

My current bag is a Vango Venom 300 (Mummy) coupled with a Thermorest NeoAir self inflating mat. However, if space allows I prefer to take a aluminium camp bed as a get a much better sleep with one of them. My bag has a comfortable temp range of 0c - 25c but survivable in up to -8c im yet to test that statement though.

My main buying consideration has always been pack weight because my touring is usually on pedal powered two wheels so weight is always a deciding factor and the lack of space.

There is too many sleeping bags out there all claiming to be the best. My advice is speak to sales staff at your bricks and mortor outdoor shops because their advice is so vaulable and find out what kit they use as in the majority of cases their kit is used a lot more regularly than Joe Bloggs.

CW
africajim

Post by africajim »

I've a Vango mummy bag as well for solo trips but usually use a Tesco's two person bag. £12 and does both myself and Fiona, it's been great value for money!
Honda, the power of dreams.
Mark Manley

Post by Mark Manley »

Anything from Rab will be good, although it will be reflected in the price. Keep an eye out for offers from some outlets.
On the subject of mats, don't be tempted by a cheapie, I spent £30 on a Chinese made mat them spent £50 on a Thermarest
2 years later when the other fell apart, the Thermarest is still good after 12 years of regular use.
A wise man is one who doesn't make the same mistake once.
davsato

Post by davsato »

i detest sleeping bags, im a wriggler and side sleeper and i get very claustrophobic in a bag. when its colder i use a +10/-10 XL square hooded synthetic, when warmer i use a XL square 2 season synthetic. i rarely even do the zips up, often waking up in a different place in the tent and the different way round that i started (but at least in the same tent!). i use a box sided airbed that has high sides so its harder to roll out of, but i think i need a babies cot! i could never get on with a mummy bag, but the downside to these very comfy bags is the enormous pack size and weight.
Dave

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”