A quick trip to the Auvergne Volcanic Region

Where you've been and what you done
Kenboxertwin

A quick trip to the Auvergne Volcanic Region

Post by Kenboxertwin »

Just returned from a few days trip to the Volcanic Region of France, took the LD lines night Ferry to Le Havre (£40 return at the moment)
Stopped of at my mates little house near Gace.
IMAGE_102.jpg
IMAGE_102.jpg (123.1 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
Headed down through Le Mans and Tours on the peage and then headed across country for several hours in 25 degre c sunshine until we saw the first glimpse of scenery and then it started raining :S
IMAGE_088.jpg
IMAGE_088.jpg (70.28 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
We went through Volvic (where the water comes from) and headed for the Puy de Dome Volcano
IMAGE_089.jpg
IMAGE_089.jpg (82.98 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
Pitched up our ABR flycamp in the mountains in near freezing conditions and made the shock discovery that a £10 Tesco summer sleeping bag doesnt keep you very warm :whistle:
IMAGE_091.jpg
IMAGE_091.jpg (87.56 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
Up early the next morning and moved on to Mont-Dore and the Puy de Sancy covered in snow and people still skiing down it, brilliant roads in this area but a bit slippy this time of year.
IMAGE_092.jpg
IMAGE_092.jpg (86.61 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
We headed up through Clermont Ferrand which has a great copy of Fish Hill (Broadway/Cotswolds) and up through the Loire Valley but in true touring traditions the weather turned shite it went pitch black at 3pm so we cut short and headed for home, after eleven hours riding that day we were ready for the log fire and a shower.

Well worth the ride down there if youve never been, 475 miles from Le Havre (could be less but I got lost a few times :lol: )
Remember your credit card for petrol on a Sunday...30 euros to fill the GS up now :woohoo: and take a warm sleeping bag :blush:

On me own back to the Ferry and work the next day :(
IMAGE_115.jpg
IMAGE_115.jpg (86.13 KiB) Viewed 2197 times
Peejay

Re: A quick trip to the Auvergne Volcanic Region

Post by Peejay »

Nice, was there last September, and leading a trip there in July, fabulous part of the world.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Nice one Ken, great to see those ABR stickers going to good use. I didn't know they had skiing in the Massif Central, I do now, thanks.
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Nice one Ken, sunny and warm in Cornwall last weekend. :whistle:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Alun, skiing season on Sancy (Mt Dore) is February but sometimes you can get snow as early as Oct and as late as March.

Kenboxertwin - Shame we didn;t know you were coming over we could have met up for a beer and I could have shown you some of the sights.

Shame Puy de Dome is closed to veh's now you used to be able to ride up to the top, great views now you will only be able to get to the top via a dedicated tram/train lift.

We are in the Central Massif 24/7 some terrific routes in the region and if your sleeping bag is not up to it you can look us up ;) "Ridersrest" shame you missed out Puy Mary one of the nicest Volcanos which you can ride almost to the top of. Some pics of the region http://www.whereistonynow.co.uk/france10.htm

Anyone else planning a trip this way (Central Massif) check out these routes I have for the region :) www.motomassif.info
Touring France Some Useful Central Massif Touring Routes...

Ride Reports places we have been and things we have seen...
Kenboxertwin

Post by Kenboxertwin »

Thanks for that Nomad, wish we had known you were there. I should have asked the question before we set off but it was a bit of a last minute trip.
Very nice area that we only saw a small amount of so I will keep your details and maybe see you in the future as I want a trip over Millau bridge at some time.

We saw the track up Puy de Dome and presumed it used to be open and I will check out Puy Mary on Google.

My partner says if thats your body in your picture can she visit too :)
Cheers Ken
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Yup that is my back covered in ink.
Touring France Some Useful Central Massif Touring Routes...

Ride Reports places we have been and things we have seen...
James691

Post by James691 »

Looks like you had a great time Ken - thanks for sharing mate! It can get cold at night indeed, at least you took a sleeping bag - I forgot my tent last time! :blush: Far too eager to get out on the road sometimes me!
Dancing in the moonlight
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Wow , Excellent panorama pictures Nomad

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”