BMW GS - Is there any love left ?

The Things We Ride
johnnyboxer

BMW GS - Is there any love left ?

Post by johnnyboxer »

Been on this Forum for a year or so and an over riding theme is the constant knocking of all things BMW and generally the GS range

I'm not necessarily talking talking about the 1200 and it's 'perceived' reliability deficiencies :P

I've owned all the GS's over the years, Monolever early G/S, a 100GS PD Paralever, 3 1100GS's and 3 1150GS's and even a 1200 GSA :ohmy: and currently have 1150 GSA's (and own/have owned other brands too)

My favourites have been the 1100GS's and the 1150 Adventures and all have been fine, taking me on Adventure rides adding up to well over 100,000 miles+

My least favourites were the Airheads, hard to ride fast with crap chassis & brakes for my riding style, although I can see the charm factor

Never had a major issue, even with the 12 GSA - although I never gelled with

However I just don't get the constant BMW GS knocking here

Is it....

The blue roundel badge

The Charlie and Ewan factor

The perception of snobby riders, with loadsacash

The inordinate amounts of TT bling that adorn many GS'S

The worldwide success of the GS, as a Adventure touring motorcycle

The price of GS's

Jealousy, by guys who are riding another Adventure bike they think isn't as good - but in reality it is

Their 'perceived' unreliabilty, documented on forums - when in reality there are 1000's runing quietly along without drama

So...............what is the problem with GS's here..............I'd love to know
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Treadtrader

Re: BMW GS - Is there any love left ?

Post by Treadtrader »

I like em. :whistle:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
RH_SCOTLAND

Post by RH_SCOTLAND »

I would love a 1200GSA, I love the look of the bike but couldn't afford the cost of the bike and I am very wary of the reported reliability issues and ensuing costs.

But people criticise the Caponord and yet I have had two and not had any real problems with either. Ride all year, dry, wet, snow, freezing conditions. As long as I keep her on the optimiser, no worries. Wont be getting rid of my 2005 Capo anytime soon.

As much as I would love to, I couldn't afford to take the risk of buying a GSA and have it go wrong though. So that does put me off.
Some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them....
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

It's because I'm really jealous so I would rather pretend I don't like them. Sorry everyone.

:laugh: :laugh:
panman

Post by panman »

1150s are best (thumbs)
GB

Post by GB »

Love mine Johnny, it will soon go over the 80000mile mark and I can't think of another bike I'd rather have what I can afford.
Finally back on a GS :D
chillidave

Post by chillidave »

RH_SCOTLAND wrote:I would love a 1200GSA, I love the look of the bike but couldn't afford the cost of the bike and I am very wary of the reported reliability issues and ensuing costs.

But people criticise the Caponord and yet I have had two and not had any real problems with either. Ride all year, dry, wet, snow, freezing conditions. As long as I keep her on the optimiser, no worries. Wont be getting rid of my 2005 Capo anytime soon.

As much as I would love to, I couldn't afford to take the risk of buying a GSA and have it go wrong though. So that does put me off.

The last sentence about sums it up for me ( and probably others I suspect). ;)
digitalcaptive

Post by digitalcaptive »

I think if you look a little deeper all the brands get a slagging off at some point,
being a Triumph owner I'm all too aware that the brand gets knocked from time to time
At this moment in time Triumph is my brand of choice (I've owner 3 tigers thus far two 800XC and one 955)and I try to stay away from slagging other brands (of which I'd probably have no experience)
For riders who have actually experienced issues, then I think airing their grievances is probably justified and gives other potential buyers the heads up on potential issues.
Most of the derogatory remarks have no foundation other than "my bike's better than your bike" and should be treated with the same level of credence (thumbs)
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

The Germans bombed countless chip shops in this country and we've never forgiven them :whistle:

I've never owned a GS but I've had several airhead boxers and a couple of K series bikes and they've all been good but my guess it's it's reverse snobbery. Generally speaking BMW bikes aren't cheap so owners are looked on as having too much disposable cash and no idea how to spend it.
boatman

Post by boatman »

The problems IMHO have been overhyped, probably heard more, because they have sold more
i currently have n/3 12GSA and consider it to be the finest machine i have had so far ( and i have had a LOAD of different bikes over the years B) ) mind you this one has only clocked 30k so far
I have love !!!!!!!!!!! ( i have even cleaned this one!!!!!!!!!) :lol: :lol:

Return to “BIKES”