Motorcycle Adventurers or Motorcycle Tourists. Discuss.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
picos mestizo

Re: Motorcycle Adventurers or Motorcycle Tourists. Discuss.

Post by picos mestizo »

Bernard Smith wrote:(The) Two wheeled tourist.... mmmm ... now there's a good title for a book..... :-)
Would also have to include the Treaders with this title. :huh:
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

utaka wrote:.
Ah Easyjet, 'The council estate with wings'[/quote]

Steady on old boy, a bit middle class hey what!!!!
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Bigtim

Post by Bigtim »

Living in Devon we don't have tourists we have Grockles.

I do believe the BMW 1200GS Grockle has a certain ring to it, and in Cornwall they could have the KTM Emmit.
MarkN

Post by MarkN »

Tourist, adventurer, who cares, what's in a name. Get out there and ride and get pleasure riding your bike.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I'm pretty much a two wheeled tourist, although I travel on my only mainly. The day I turn east and start heading towards the steppes with little knowledge of what lays ahead I then become a two wheeled adventurer.

The last time I was on a ferry I spoke to a guy who had just passed his test then rode to south of Spain, now talking to him he had an adventure :pinch: , so I think it's down to the boundaries of the person who is undertaking the tour/adventure.

cheers Spud (touring/adventurer) ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Redmurty wrote:I'm pretty much a two wheeled tourist, although I travel on my only mainly. The day I turn east and start heading towards the steppes with little knowledge of what lays ahead I then become a two wheeled adventurer.

The last time I was on a ferry I spoke to a guy who had just passed his test then rode to south of Spain, now talking to him he had an adventure :pinch: , so I think it's down to the boundaries of the person who is undertaking the tour/adventure.

cheers Spud (touring/adventurer) ;)
B) B)
Labels are only for advertisers to pigeonhole potential consumers and others who feel the need to identify with a particular group. Personally I think it is for the people taking part to decide how they wish to view it because it is what's inside your own head that matters
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Like others above, I think it is a personal perception thing. We are on a long trip ATM. When we were in the US doing the National Parks and long straight boring roads, I kinda regarded myself as a tourist. I think because it was easier, more traveled by others and aside from accidents, little risk involved. When on the Alaskan Ice Road, it was an adventure.

We are now in Central America and the roads are more dangerous, the other vehicles are death traps and the police are a lottery when they stop you. In short, the outcome is a lot less certain and I would now regard myself as an adventurer, mainly because that's how I feel about it. Having said that, when stopped I say "Soy tourista" (I'm a tourist). The roads are often appalling and when under repair, there is seldom any advance warning. On top of that I only have an outline plan of my route and dates so things can change all the time. For example. We are currently at a simple, cheap, beach resort that we intended to stay at for only 2 days. It has now increased to 10. :) Other silly things help too, like it has taken me 3 days to find a functioning ATM machine. We were starting to panic over that.

We have 3 fixed things: Meet the boat to get across the Darien gap, watch some of the Dakar and get to the UK to find somewhere to live so we can plan for the next trip.

I think we are now in the Adventure phase and we ditched our tent in the USA. (I like to camp, the boss doesn't.)

Certainly anyone we speak to thinks we are on an adventure !
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

OGR always a spare bed for a night or two here when you get back, have a great trip

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

People really need to get over this obsession with the description adventure bike... as if it somehow harnms the reputation of those that travel RTW or wherever..it doesnt diminish you, it doesnt affect you it is just a name, a description a marketting tool...

we have sports bikes and enduro bikes most of which never see a ractrack or enduro course, we have land rovers that never rove the land, GT cars that never get used for a grand tour and an assortment of vehicle names that in no way reflect thwe real abilities or purpose of the vehicle...Ford Fiesta ? never seen at any spanish party I have attended... Focus? not really used to improve your visual perception, L200 animal? not really one is it??and so on and so on..

its a useful term to identify a distinctive style of bike..nearly everyone knows what you are talking about if you mention one..

For those that really are hung up on it only being an adventure if you do it on a home made bike think up your own name for it as the marketting men have stolen a march on you and grabbed 'Adventure'.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

For me an adventure is a just a trip that isn't rigidly planned. A trip where last minute changes of route should be encouraged. You should know where you want to end up, but be flexible on your route. Start off each morning not quite knowing where you'll finish the day, whether you'll be camping or in a hotel.
You should interact with the locals as much as possible and try for the road less travelled.
In my opinion, there is no better vehicle for this than a motorcycle. Most people you meet are interested in motorcycles and there riders, bikes are great ice breakers.
I have all ways been amazed at the warmth of people I meet on my motorcycle "Adventures"

Return to “THE PUB”