anyone got experiance with strap ons ??

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
minkyhead

anyone got experiance with strap ons ??

Post by minkyhead »

hi
im nearly together now with me kit so ive had a a few test load ups ..and tried to ride as much as i can with all the shite bolted to the bike to get the feel of the extra weight ...
incredable how much shite you have to cart for this camping lark .. i usually get everything i need in the back box ...grrr

anyway the bungee hooks ive used are ok but i think somthing like a adjustable strap would be better
the other thing im considering is if i damage the soft panniers i may need a temporary set up and elastic straps may be a bit too boingy [technicle term ]

so my question is too the strap on experts out there .. whats better than the bungee ??

By minkyhead at 2011-03-24
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Peejay

Re: anyone got experiance with strap ons ??

Post by Peejay »

BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

more bungie straps allover more the better and cargo nets
scouse

Post by scouse »

Rok Straps - bungees are sooooo last century

http://www.traveldriplus.com/index.php? ... 00ff5c502d

I just use two to hold the camping bag on - which for a two weeker usually holds a tent,stove,fuel and cooking accoutrements,picnic mat - two stools, candle lantern,and my collapsible hiking pole(dodgy knee)

Weights about the same as the stuff you have strapped on if not more and in over 7 years they have never worked loose. i must have sold hundreds of pairs for Les over the years when people have seen the bikes rattling and banging down trails and the as luggage never slips or the tie downs loosened off we always get asked "where did you get them... ?"

BTW move the tent off the top box, keep all the weight as low as you can, and as central as you can. Don't forget Ewan McG had frame problems due to an overloaded top-box - frame under the pillion seat is designed to take more weight than a heavy weight pressing down where the rack is... longer fulcrum, so easier to snap welds - kinda falls into the law of levers. ;)
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Great info regarding Rok Straps , I never liked bungees after getting hit in the arm with one .. I use mainly webbing type luggage straps but will maybe treat myself to some ROK'S ..

Not a very good picture . heavy stuff in bottom of panniers, tent is on back seat then camp chair on top. Sleeping bag plus everything light in top box . camera/video/electric bits and bobs in tank bag .

I need to do a LWR sort out as things are still to heavy and end up taking stuff I never use , time to do some sorting soon for Boil Rally.. :blink:
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

And here me thinking this was going to be a kinky thread! :woohoo: :evil: :whistle:

Never mind eh :laugh: :P :silly:
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
Alun

Post by Alun »

Cargo nets every time. Plenty of places for lashing easy to access stuff like packets of fags, french (Moroccan) bread and pasties at double quick time without frigging with the rigging. :blink: The kind of thing you'll appreciate on tour.
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Bungee nets.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Small-Elasticated ... 0927156898

What ever you use though stop and check regularly, if anything slips it will block the rear wheel. first off it will shred your bag and contants it could have you off.

not over keen on soft throw-overs so double check everything.... twice
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Not sure alun, sometimes can be a pain when things poke through the hole and fall off.

Had it happen with an exhaust once - carrying the original SV slip on can home it had a cargo net and two bungees, slipped out and fell on the road.

Was not best pleased :(

Dont get me wrong though - theyre great for securing larger loads, just not small ones.

These ROK straps seem pretty good though!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
davsato

Post by davsato »

bungy nets good, also use adjustable bungies from hein gericke. they have big plastic hooks that fit on a lot more things and dont bend, and you can put them on loose and then tighten them, lessens the chance of losing an eye or yanking an ear off
Dave

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”