I'm thinking about getting a Shoei Hornet DS and have a few questions

Does my ass look big in these?
KTM Deano

I'm thinking about getting a Shoei Hornet DS and have a few questions

Post by KTM Deano »

I have a Shoei Multitec helmet at the moment which is a bit noisy and I have been looking at changing to a Shoei Hornet DS. I just have a few questions

1) There is no dark visor (only a light tint) listed for the hornet. I normally prefer to have a dark visor fitted during the day. Shoei do list a dark pinlock though. Does anybody know how good these are in comparison and are they easy enough to change with visor fitted to helmet?

2) How effective is the peak and are there any problems at slightly higher speeds?

3) Will this fit into a Touratech Zega Pro top box. This is a deal breaker as I need to be able to store my helmet in the box once it is parked up.

I apologise in advance if these questions have been asked before but far too often I've bought equipment and only afterwards found out that it is not suited to my needs :silly: . Thanks
OB1

Re: I'm thinking about getting a Shoei Hornet and have a few questions

Post by OB1 »

I am assuming that you mean the Hornet DS - there is another model called the Hornet.

1. I was also looking at the options for a dark visor as I was planning a trip down to Spain for the MotoGP in June. There are only the options that you mentioned (light tint and PinLock tints). In the end, I didn't add any tint to the visor as the peak was sufficient for shading my eyes, even in Spain. Changing the visor on the Hornet DS is not as quick as on other models as the peak's mounting also fixes the visor to the main shell.

2. I had previously used an Airoh S4 which caught the wind, especially when looking over my shoulder. With the Shoei I can't say that I even notice the peak being affected by the wind.

3. I cannot answer this as I don't have that model of top box.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
KTM Deano

Re: I'm thinking about getting a Shoei Hornet DS and have a few questions

Post by KTM Deano »

Yes I did mean the DS and have just edited my post. Thanks for that.

So it seems that the peak does give a certain degree of eye protection then. Thanks for your reply
xtgaz

Post by xtgaz »

i have a honet ds witch has a light tint witch is quite dark. cutom lids in newcastle give you a clear & tint visor for £330 went in &got mine for £310 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
rodrigoscs

Post by rodrigoscs »

Great helmet. Very quiet, the peak very aerodynamic and doesn't pull your head all over the place at high speads.

I also have the light tinted visor and I agree with xtgaz, it's quite dark. I only used it in the summer when the days were long. (oh... good days!!! B) )

It does fit on my Vario top box if I compress it a just a little, which didn't happen with my previous Spada Sting, but can't say about the Zega pro.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

The only thing I can comment on is the peak and its okay up to 100mph. I payed around £260 for mine brand new.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

xtgaz wrote:i have a honet ds witch has a light tint witch is quite dark. cutom lids in newcastle give you a clear & tint visor for £330 went in &got mine for £310 :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
I negotiated the price for mine: I said "if you can do this for £300, I'll take it" the sales chap came back a couple of minutes later and said "yours for £280". :woohoo: :blink: B)
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

I tried a Hornet DS for a few weeks, but apart from the pain in my head ( which is definitely Arai shaped ) I found that the peak was to small & too high to be effective in shading my eyes.

The visor has to be removed in order to change the Pinlock, just like on the Tour X... so I invested in a light sensitive Pinlock, which turns a nice shade of blue in bright sunshine, but clears in a few seconds (thumbs)
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
rodrigoscs

Post by rodrigoscs »

Rhys wrote:The only thing I can comment on is the peak and its okay up to 100mph. I payed around £260 for mine brand new.
Maybe not the best helmet for a sports bike!! :silly:
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

rodrigoscs wrote:
Rhys wrote:The only thing I can comment on is the peak and its okay up to 100mph. I payed around £260 for mine brand new.
Maybe not the best helmet for a sports bike!! :silly:
Where did I say anything about a sports bike?

Return to “CLOTHING”