Squires

Info on biker meeting places such as Box Hill,Poole Quay, etc. Please start each post with the county followed by the place in the subject box i.e. Warwickshire - The Waterman. It'll make things a lot easier to follow.
Toblerone

Squires

Post by Toblerone »

Someone just posted this on one of the other forums im on. I know its not everyones cup of tea (ironically :P ) but i really like it and think its a great place and feel lucky to live so close.

I sincerly hope the sale brings no change to the place at all.

http://www.daltonsbusiness.com/pubs-for ... -uk/327135

Cheers

Toblerone
'13 Kawasaki Versys

'01 Honda C90

Everything Happens for a Reason

Live n' let Live

http://www.slickpic.com/u/Toblerone
johnnyboxer

Re: Squires

Post by johnnyboxer »

£1.6million :ohmy:

Personally I think it's had it's day

Can't stand the place
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

I loved the old Milk Bar and never missed the Rockers Reunion first Tuesday in May . I visited the new place twice and it never felt the same to me. Change not always for the best. Lots of folk like the place so I hope the new owners give it a new lease of life .

Dazzer
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

Started going to Squire's Milk Bar in the late 80's but it just got too popular and swamped Sherburn. The pub was better as it got the bikes into a bigger space but the local shops of Sherburn probably weren't too chuffed

It's a good place. When I find new bikers in the region this is the place we usually arrange to meet 'cos everyone knows it. In Lincolnshire it tends to be Willingham Woods
Willingham Woods
johnnyboxer

Squires

Post by johnnyboxer »

Dazzer wrote:I loved the old Milk Bar and never missed the Rockers Reunion first Tuesday in May . I visited the new place twice and it never felt the same to me. Change not always for the best. Lots of folk like the place so I hope the new owners give it a new lease of life .

Dazzer
Agreed Dazzer

Old Milk Bar had a real feel about it, like a weekly carnival atmosphere about it & it was good to wander around Sherburn, using all the other shops & cafes/pubs

New pub, is too contrived & feels soulless in comparison - plus I don't much like the refreshments

With money we don't have

V_King

Post by V_King »

squires is a perfect recreational example - sits next to busy motorway, literally on the railway tracks and has a sewer at the back :D

never seen the old milk bar, but the squires I've seen for the last two years, looks like a run down old place. What's more, it is not that busy money wise - they sell lots of brew for the riders outside on sunny evenings, but the restaurant area is always empty. £1.6 million, is the owner very proud of the place or the pound nowadays can't buy anything any more? :blink:
""
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

V_King wrote:squires is a perfect recreational example - sits next to busy motorway, literally on the railway tracks and has a sewer at the back :D

never seen the old milk bar, but the squires I've seen for the last two years, looks like a run down old place. What's more, it is not that busy money wise - they sell lots of brew for the riders outside on sunny evenings, but the restaurant area is always empty. £1.6 million, is the owner very proud of the place or the pound nowadays can't buy anything any more? :blink:
Agreed

With money we don't have

coyotedave

Post by coyotedave »

I've been giving this some thought since reading the thread, So.

I started going to the old cafe in 1976, one of my first outings on my then new Suzuki GT 250. It was the place to go and hang out. Over the next 10/20 years it grew in popularity. Any free space in the village was used to park up on a Wednesday evening, Good for the village shops and pubs? Or so you would think. They had to change the bus routes on busy evenings because the road by the cafe was crowded with people and bikes. A great atmosphere.

The local business and council put a lot of pressure on the then owners to either shut the cafe or move to another area. Eventually they acquired the run down and derelict new inn pub at Newthorpe, 2 miles from the ( old place ).
Over the next 6 months they put a lot of hard work into just getting the place ready to accept some sort of business from the bikers.
Over the years they turned it round to one of the best bike cafés / hang outs in the country, in my opinion. I have been to the ace, Rickers, and many others.
Squires has camping facilities and hook up for motor homers, it holds a FREE auto jumble once a month, the York advanced motorcyclist hold there meetings there every Saturday, summer and winter. Car clubs use it for there club meetings.
The food has got better and the Sunday Carvery ain't too bad.
The inside could do with a good refurb, and Jason has tried to arrange the work to be done but has had it knocked back by the farmer owners. You never get to see them about the place unlike Harry and Sue who were always there.

It has been a great achevment by all those involved in squires to make it a great place to hand out, 7 days a week, 8am to 10pm.
I for one will be sad to see it bought by some developer who will tear it down and put up some flats to had to his portfolio.

Whether you like the place or not it IS the oldest bike cafe, opened in 1954 by a Mr Squires.
Where else can you say to anyone you have not seen before and your arranging a ride out, we will meet up at squires.

I have made some great friends there, Had some of my best ride outs from there. I have some great biking memories over the 30+ years I have been go to squires.

Thanks for reading my little history of a place I hold dear to me. Friends have been lost but not forgotten.

Cheers Dave.
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Been there twice, about 4 years apart. Both times the toilets were overflowing and the food/tea was naff. Will be surprised if there's a third time.

Unfortunately never made it to the old Milk Bar.
lmac

Post by lmac »

I used to go to the old place in the late 70s/early 80s. Nowadays I only go maybe 2 or 3 times a year. sometimes I can have a good chill out there and sometimes it seems to be full of fat old buggers in too tight race leathers bragging about things they probably never did and slagging most other things off, but thats life, each to their own, be a shame for it to disappear though I reckon.

Return to “BIKER HANG-OUTS”