Wanted: Touratech Pannier Racks for a 1990-1992 Honda XRV750 RD04 Africa Twin

If you’re looking to clear out the garage or fill it back up post up your FOR SALE or WANTED here. No commercial sales, just personal stuff.
SoCal Adv. Tourer

Wanted: Touratech Pannier Racks for a 1990-1992 Honda XRV750 RD04 Africa Twin

Post by SoCal Adv. Tourer »

Wanted: Touratech Pannier Racks for a 1990-1991 Honda XRV750 RD04 Africa Twin

Forum Members,

Hello. While searching for pannier racks for my aging 1990-1992 Honda XRV750 RD04 Africa Twin, I am learning some vendors have discontinued producing pannier racks for the 1990-1992 models.

Two sets of Touratech RD04 pannier racks are needed. All pre-owned racks without serious damage will be considered. A scratched or rusty finish is not an issue. After reviewing several of the different designs, I like Touratech the best. If you have a set of Touratech pannier racks collecting dust, please PM via the forum.

Please note panniers are not needed, only the pannier racks.

Thank you!

David
Rhys

Re: Wanted: Touratech Pannier Racks for a 1990-1992 Honda XRV750 RD04 Africa Twin

Post by Rhys »

See this site...

www.heavyduties.ro

Not TT but better and stronger with the same design. I have a set fitted to my RD03 with TT panniers.
Wozzy

Re: Wanted: Touratech Pannier Racks for a 1990-1992 Honda XRV750 RD04 Africa Twin

Post by Wozzy »

Having also just acquired an RD04 im also in need of a set of pannier frames as i already have a set of Zegas to go on it, so following the advice above i contacted Heavy Duties and got the following repy.

I am really really sorry but for the moment we are out of stock on panniers racks and we will need a long time to be able to make the delivery.
I am sorry.

Best regards, Alex

So has anyone got any other ideas
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

hepco and becker racks are still available but they are expensive. Try ebay.de to see if you can find any other racks but your best bet is waiting for heavyduties to have racks available once again.
SoCal Adv. Tourer

Post by SoCal Adv. Tourer »

Rhys & Wozzy: Thank you for your replies. I am currently corresponding with a couple local metal fabrication shops to fabricate a set of pannier racks similar to Touratech & Heavy Duties, or possibly an improved version that is a combination of the two. If all goes well, I'll post the final results to this thread. Btw, any RD04 owners in the US may contact me if you are also interested in ordering a set. I will have two sets made. Currently in the design phase... Thanks again! David
beckcb

Post by beckcb »

Hello to all of you. I'm new to this forum.
You wondering about the expenses of ready made frames and boxes, and you dream about the start of your adventure. This is my 5 cent suggestion.

Its not hard at all DIY. Look at the frame picture above and do the following:
Buy a few meters of thick wall 16 mm tube. Buy 316 Stainless if you dont want the rust. You bend the tubes cold. Cork the ends of the tube fill with sand. Decide your radius of the bends. Make a little jig of plywood and another peace of ply attached with a screw to the center of the radius. And a knot or a roller bearing attached at the outer radius of the tube. Thats all.
Start the rounding massage and with a little work you have your nice 90 degree radius bends. You probably have to overbend a little to get the 90 degrees.

All the other attaching parts kan be hammered flat at the ends. Make a hole at the end where you want to attach it to the monsterous machine.
Go to a weld shop, ask for a little help welding the ends, or use screws and flat bar plate strips with 2 holes to connect the parts through the tube ends by attaching a scew.
If you use screws, apply som locktite to the screws and bring a few extras when you start your journey.

The box kan be made of 2 pices of metal plate bendt in 90 degrees angels. I think 1.2 mm Stainless, or 2mm Aluminium would do. One bent in the horisontal plane one time for the outer side and the bottom. The other bent in the vertical plane for backside, inner side and front side. Then weld the edges. (Or make an extra 2x2 cm 90 deegre angle iron from the plate, and pop rivet it at the plate corners. Bottom ends cut 45 degrees, and silicone before attacment)

The top lid is one piece of metal. Cut a square out at the corners and bend it 90 degrees. A little oversize the actual box.

Stainless is much harder to cut through if you think about a safe container for your belongings. It is also easier to weld if you have to repair. (You dont need the sofisticated equipment. Ordinary SS pins will do)

Ask the welder to join the ends. Tig or mig should do, but old style pins also works fine.
Use ss welding pins if you weld Stainless.

A nice tool to bend the 90 degree plate is a pair of solid square 15-20mm metal rods. Put the 2 square pieces paralell to each other and weld the one end. Then you put the plate in between, fix the hold, and start bending/hammering with a huge rubber hammer. Relatively easy.
Thats it.

It requires only some thinking. Start out by modifying a shoebox to get the idea.
The top of the box could be double bent all around about 1 cm to make the edge more solid and not so sharp. (Also lower part of the top lid can be bent this way)

By using this method you save a lot of money which can be used for petrol half the way around the world, and you know how to repair when you lay down for an sudden rest.
All the best. See you out there. Happy touring.

regards Christian.

Return to “FOR SALE - WANTED”