gov epetition: more support for current and former service personnel with mental health issues

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
corbine

gov epetition: more support for current and former service personnel with mental health issues

Post by corbine »

The e- petition for the government to give more support for current and former service personnel with mental health issues has got the go ahead. Please follow the link http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/52697 to sign.

It means a huge amount to me and thousands of others. Please also feel free to copy and share the link. WE NOW NEED 100,000 SIGNATURES?

Serving or a civvy any chance you could sign up to this please?
after signing, flick back to the petition and you will see the number of petitioners-theres your number :-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... by_Battle/

"As our troops in Afghanistan prepare to come home, more and more British soldiers are haunted by the trauma of over a decade of war. This Panorama special investigates the true personal cost which, until now, has remained largely hidden. The Ministry of Defence only releases the number of suicides of serving soldiers and does not track what happens to its veterans.

Over the course of a year, reporter Toby Harnden set out to discover how many soldiers, both former and serving, took their own lives in 2012. He talks to families who have lost their sons and ex-soldiers suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder who are desperately seeking help"
Heff

Re: gov epetition: more support for current and former service personnel with mental health issues

Post by Heff »

Signed
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
lancashirelad

Re: gov epetition: more support for current and former service personnel with mental health issues

Post by lancashirelad »

Ditto.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

There's a huge time bomb waiting in the wings re mental health of our ex forces guys, the physical injuries are being catered for but the mental health one are being allowed to slip by, the cynic in me say's the government knows people can see the people with missing limbs but not the guys with PTSD.

How many ex forces guys are in prison, living on the streets or are turning into junkies to try to deal with what they have seen and done. Any help they can get is good.

Thank you to the ones that have already signed

signed and email to everyone I know

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Wozzy

Post by Wozzy »

Signed
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Sorry guys - I tried to sign but it says your eithe rhave top be a British Citizen, which I am, or a UK resident, which I'm not.

Then you have to fill in a UK address even though I chose Spain from the 'Country' list!

Then there's an 'error' messsage repeating that you have to either a UK citizen or UK resident.

So someone at the UK government, or whoever runs this petition has f*****d up. I imagine there are lot of people who are in the same boat as me who would want to sign up - familes on foreign bases amongst them or ex-pats in general.

So maybe the people who are doing the petition need to take this one up.

Regs

Simon

PS I'll follow this thread and sign up as soon as I can :)
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Just signed but there was also a message saying petition closing 17/7?
corbine

Post by corbine »

guys its closing 17/7 next year 2014 -time is cool.
spanish si as your a real brit you can use my home address for the petition if you wish -i cant see any reason why not -pmail me and ill pass you my addy- thanks for everyone this far. ive got it up on facebook open groups to various ships and establishments i served with back in the 80's.
some friends with links to many people will pass the word about- it needs a touch of viral to really move quickly especially while the topic is hot with the programme only aired the other nite-ive seen pts- when galatea went into refit in guz back in 80's. one of the lads came back to the dockyard. we were in dry dock- i was doing qm on gangway. saw a sailor stand on edge of dock- tom daley stance and did a perfect ten off the top straight down onto the concrete bottom -instant death. one way to end it- obviously sad it ever came to that. mad ronnie from galatea committed suicide soon after he left. something troubled him to the point of.... it wasnt just galatea either - the first gulf i lived in plymouth on leave-top flat had army guy- rowd with misses friday nite- heard 3 pop pops, she was in hallway sobbing and legged it out of flats. 6am i stood by back door having a smoke and saw cops on street corners pointing guns- i was beckoned out-id myself, told to evacuate in my skimpies. refused as misses was sparko- he said armed man upstairs with guns and grenades (bought back from gulf)-ordered me to go towards him- told him to wait, went in and got the misses up, calmly got her out. front cordon was stupid-within line of sight of his top floor window . I got the chiefy to push cordon back further and told them i heard what was 3 shots quick succession during night-sounded like gunfire.
police entered property en mass in full gear. the guy was already dead from gunshot wounds as he had weapon on repeat first shot fired 2 more as arm stayed on trigger. he had also booby trapped a grenade or two- bomb disposal rn guys took sand from garden and took the grenade out and disposed off.
they were both stressed out servicemen having done the biz-sadly their lives were cut short -this was back in 91-nothing was done to enquire why? causation? now its at much worse levels with lads coming back from afghanistan and other theatres -ok to follow health checks for current serving, surely the military or even nhs should be following up all ex servicemen that toured regardless of how long-the losses are far too many and far too many are also ending up in prison with stress related/drink/drug/ptss- would save government money in long run if they kept the lads and lasses sound and sane mentally- enable them to integrate and function better within society and lead a more normal life, knowing there is support 24/7 for them.
just a couple of thoughts -corbs :-)
thanks for the efforts so far guys n girls :-)
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Corbine, I was in Guz when the incident your on about happened. 1 of my mates walked into the armoury popped one in his mouth. Endex.

I lost another who hung himself in the funnel, I know of a few others who really struggle as well.

SAMA do a lot I believe with trips back down south.

If any expat needs an address let me know I can supply a couple :whistle:

I have put the link on several forums, so take care shippers

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
corbine

Post by corbine »

were you army or navy mate? think the chap your referring to was called Ian? think it was 1991 or 92?

Return to “THE PUB”