Largewayrounds BIG Day Out . . . .

Where you've been and what you done
Steve T

Largewayrounds BIG Day Out . . . .

Post by Steve T »

Well, that was a luverly way to spend a Sunday!

The Mountie & I met up with AfricaJim & Fiona in Elgin, then headed for the hills.
The Mountie and I waited for Lowflyer & Rickskye to arrive at Tomintoul from Inverness whilst Jim & Fiona carried on to Braemar.
This was going to be called “The Scottish Stig” but himself called it “The Scottish Stink”, so that’s what he is, it “The Scottish Stink”
The two Highlanders had a late start, so me & the Mountie decided not too wait for more than 10 minutes and headed for the Hungry Highlander at Braemar, where we were met with this site . . .
Free Tea / coffee courtesy of Largewayround – Cheers mucker. Good turn out on a fine but cold day, with several people travelling over a hundred miles just to get to Braemar.
Largewayround then led us on a scenic route onto south Deeside then over the Cairn O Mount – obligatory photo stop at the top.
Tried out the new bike on the slippy stuff – not too bad considering the tyres it’s wearing (Michelin Siracs).
From the hills we headed to Largewayrounds for the BBQ. Much merriment & meat was had by all, even the HUGE dogs that the man has were joining in. Lowflyer, Rickskye & myself were the first to leave, with Rick having to haul ass back to Skye, which is 2 hours riding from Inverness, which was a good 3 hours from Largewayrounds place.

Big thank you to Craig & Jennifer for putting on such a vast amount of great food, and an extra thanks to Craig for putting the day together and gathering riders from far & wide. Did an ace job with the weather as well – NICE ONE Craig.

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
CRAIGREVO

Re: Largewayrounds BIG Day Out . . . .

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I've only just twigged who was posting this, the last we heard you were test riding the Tenere now you own one! :woohoo: You dont mess around mate.

It looks like you guys had a great turnout and perfect weather too.
I look forward to seeing everyone's photos. :)

PS, I love your new bike mate. B)
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

A very bright sunny but cold day this morning .
But intrepid riders from all over Scotland turned up at the meet point in Braemar.

The ride up was chilly especially after Ballater , stopped for a quick photo of a lovely old *royal* bridge.

The lovely lass in the cafe opened early so we could get a heat and some well deserved coffee. The rest of the expected riders came along in 2's or 3's .

After the nice coffee , we headed down deeside to Balmoral , where we headed off down the lower south road . The road conditions were usual at this time of year , gritty , sandy . But all very dry so looking in my mirror to see 9 other riders and clouds of dust . Quite a sight .

Being accustomed to the road I was being careful and keeping to a sensible pace.
We made our way down to cairn'o'mount , were we stopped for a break.

A couple of the guys drove up to the cairn at the top (to the tut tuts' of the car drivers), but cheers from us. Jim did a couple of wheelies on the road , just because he can) .

AfricaJim does a wheelie.

After 10 minutes we headed down the other side , and went the clatering bridge ford.
Amazed that there was some water in the ford , (sorry no pics) only 6 inches of water but nice little water splash .

Made our way through the back roads , some b roads some single track. Nice blast being careful not to go mad , with all the road grit.

We made it back to my house without loosing anyone , thanks SteveT for being back marker , and all riders that used the second man drop off system.
Turning the corner into my village, you could smell the BBQ already, mmmmmmm
Jenifer (my wife) was on the ball, and coffee / food was all ready for the brave adventurers.
My dogs had fun scaring the crap out of the riders , but we did get them to settle down, when the burgers started being handed out .

Fed and watered and heated up , the riders started to leave to make there way home.

A great meet up , thanks for all the riders who turned up and made a great start to this years season.

We (Jenifer & Myself) plan to do a another BBQ later in the summer.

:)

p.s. I did not get many pictures from today , but I did see quite a few cameras, so hopefully others will have some shots of a great day out.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

CRAIGREVO wrote:I've only just twigged who was posting this, the last we heard you were test riding the Tenere now you own one! :woohoo: You dont mess around mate.
I've been "stalking" this model of bike since they were launched in 2008. Just the look of the machine makes me go "Wow". And then I got a test ride on one in 2009, and that sort of sold the idea of owning one to me. However, I've yet to buy a new bike, so I waited for the 2nd hand market to send one my way . Last year I was offered one by a friend who'd had his bike from new. I dithered a bit on that one, finally deciding that the time was not right. At the end of last year I was financially able to go looking for one and when bfgjohn posted his up for sale on this forum. We discussed a deal and the rest, as they say, is history.

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
africajim

Post by africajim »

Well, our take on the gig was as follows,

We were ready for a 9.00 start when Steve T and the Mountie turned up. We headed off, Fiona and myself on the Ickle Beemers and Steve T with his new Tenere and the Mountie on hit trusty Tiger 955i.
I led the group from Elgin , up through Aberlour and onwards through Glenlivet and Tomnavoulin to Tomintoul where we left Steve T and the Mountie to wait for Lowflier and Rickskye from the west to turn up while Fiona and myself continued over the Lecht to Braemar for the mighty gathering!
Coffee and a bacon roll at the Hungry Highlander was the way forward! (Thanks for the coffee Craig! A quick blether with a couple of other bikers and catch up with some mates from the XRV forum and we were off!
The ride down Deeside was stunning and the blast SteveT and myself had offroad at the Cairn o mount made it a fantastic ride out. Fiona got her feet wet at the watersplash which made her laugh like a loony!
The BBQ was a major spread and can only thank Craig and Jenifer for laying it on.
Fiona, Raymo and myself were the last to leave and bid fairwell to Craig and Jenifer for the long run home.
We left Elgin at 09.00 and got home at 19.00, 240 miles all round and an excellent day was had! Thanks to all involved, a great run with good company.
Here's one pic I took, not a lot of pics, far too busy having a good time!

Cairnomount.jpg
Cairnomount.jpg (263.05 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
Honda, the power of dreams.
fionaann

Post by fionaann »

Hi everyone, well today was one big adventure, loved every second of it, thank you craig for organising it, jenifer did a brilliant job with the food, many thanks to her, love craigs dogs, it was good to see everyone today, all good friends, many thanks to my jim, you are the best, :kiss:, here are some pics of today,
DSCN1328.jpg
DSCN1328.jpg (31.16 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
DSCN1329.jpg
DSCN1329.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
DSCN1332.jpg
DSCN1332.jpg (73.36 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
DSCN1333.jpg
DSCN1333.jpg (88.26 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
DSCN1335.jpg
DSCN1335.jpg (83.32 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
Life is for living so go out there and live it, have fun, be happy.
Louisdut

Post by Louisdut »

Looks like a top day out :)

Thanks for sharing your day and pictures :)

Louis

Ps Large Way Round I know where to come for a BBQ when up your way :cheer:
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Hi Louis

Yes was a great day out with great roads, food and weather.

cheers LWR

p.s. your welcome to visit , my wife (jenifer) is a great cook ..
wianbiggar

Post by wianbiggar »

Aaaaaagh - typical - you guys get fantastic weather and have a wonderful day and I'm hobbling around on crutches!!!! Looks like a great time was had by all - glad it all went well. Mind you if I had got up there on the Yam 125 I'd still be on my way home as I write this!
Ian
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Never mind Ian .. we all miss out sometimes , I have missed loads last year because of one thing or another .

yes , everything went well , but my arm is sore and swollen today , but hey hoo.

Lots of great ride outs , weekends to come ..

Cheers LWR

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”