A few days in Scotland - tips please

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Martinl69

A few days in Scotland - tips please

Post by Martinl69 »

After getting a pass out I'm planning a trip for a few days in late August. I live near Warrington and looking for some good roads to explore. My plan is to set off on Thursday early evening and travel north for a couple of hours then maybe camp (or B&B ) somewhere near Gretna. Set off again on the Friday morning into Scotland where I'll ride until Sunday morning when I'll head home for Sunday evening.

It's not the longest of trips but the best I can manage at the moment due to work and money.

Does anyone have any routes to take which covers some good roads to enjoy? I might camp but not fully decided yet.

This is my first few days away so If you've any tips, I'm all ears!
Heff

Re: A few days in Scotland - tips please

Post by Heff »

The mountain road into Applecross is a must do in my book.

Great area to camp in as I have used it many times.
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
DogManStar

Post by DogManStar »

The A82 up to Loch Lomond and beyond is a good road but busy on the weekend, another road is the coast road through Dumfries up to Ayr making sure you have fun on the Electric Brae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Brae
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Alva Edison (1847 - 1931)
Oldie

Post by Oldie »

If you really only want a short run on the Thurs eve then stop at Moffat for a few beers and B&B (and meet some bikers, no doubt). Fri morning - 1.5 hrs to Gourock ferry and over to Cowal where you can do a wonderful coastal run to Inveraray for next beer/B&B stop (probably at the George). Sat am head south to Lochgilphead and then north through Oban to Glencoe and back down to Crianlarich or Lochearnhead for Sat night. Home Sunday is easy.
Martinl69

Post by Martinl69 »

Thanks Heff

I've always wanted to ride Applecross but I wasn't sure if it was too far to get up there just to ride it and come back. Is certainly still an option but not sure if I'd be giving myself enough time to enjoy it.
Martinl69

Post by Martinl69 »

Cheers DogManStar,

I've traveled along that road (albeit by car) when we got married at Gretna and stayed in Dumfries. Some great roads around there.
Martinl69

Post by Martinl69 »

Oldie wrote:If you really only want a short run on the Thurs eve then stop at Moffat for a few beers and B&B (and meet some bikers, no doubt). Fri morning - 1.5 hrs to Gourock ferry and over to Cowal where you can do a wonderful coastal run to Inveraray for next beer/B&B stop (probably at the George). Sat am head south to Lochgilphead and then north through Oban to Glencoe and back down to Crianlarich or Lochearnhead for Sat night. Home Sunday is easy.
Looks good, have you done this route before?

It looks like it could be an option, I'd originally thought of heading further north but I don't want to turn it into a 3 day race to get there and back.
Oldie

Post by Oldie »

Yes, I've done it a few times.

Western Ferries at McInroy's point is just ride straight on - no need to tie down or anything - and takes 20 mins. Once you get to the other side head NW over to Tighnabruaich, keep south on the coast road to Ardlamont and back up the other side to Otter Ferry (great pub) and Strachur. Keep going north and the road takes you to Inveraray (always plenty of bikes there). The rest is pretty obvious. The majority of the Cowal section is on narrow roads and very quiet(and stunning). Every biker should do it at least once.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Get a book called "Bikers Britain" will help with trip plans some great routes in there

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

Dont forget to take the avon skin so soft.but if you do most petrol stations sell it

Return to “TRAVEL”