Post by Louisdut »

Great read & pictures :) :)

Thanks for taking the time to post

Louis
Mark Young

Re: Tiger Tracks 2010

Post by Mark Young »

And it was all over, almost!

As the weather was pretty poor and the forecast looking pretty Grim the next few days were mostly just avoiding the rain hoping to squeeze in one last location. “The Serbian Taster” as we are going to call it. We really wanted to explore Serbia but not so much now that the cold & wet weather has settled in for probably the next 4 months.
From what we see of Serbia I am drawn to go back and explore some more. It is extremely clean in contrast to the other surrounding countries and everyone we met were very happy, friendly, helpful and generous.
We happen to know a chap in Kraljevo and despite the abysmal weather a warm welcome would certainly be guaranteed so we headed off the Highway some 80 miles or so to the West Central region of Serbia to say “Hi” and hang out for a couple of days…

I don’t generally share photos of private hosts but needless to say the generosity of our hosts on this trip has been a step beyond anything would have imagined… We spent two days around Kraljevo enjoying the fabulous local restaurants and wonderfully well kept surrounding countryside. I was going to pinch some photos to post because nobody wants to see the rainy wet cloudy photos I managed to take. Instead just Google Kraljevo, Studenica and enjoy…

We left Kraljevo well fed and well taken care of heading toward home and back to reality… We made it to Bled in Slovenia and found a Hotel there to rest up the night before continuing further toward home. The Next morning the sun was shining “incredibly” and although a little cold we decided that we would make an Iron Butt Ride Attempt to cover 1600miles in 24 hours and get us home a little earlier than scheduled so we can make the Iron Butt Ride To Eat scheduled in Canterbury 30 hours from now.

The Fog lifted very quickly as we headed out of Slovenia

Within no time we were in Austria and met our first obstacle.. Tunnel Closed..

Luckily this was a short lived problem and we were soon enjoying the warmth of a beautiful day riding on wonderfully smooth wide open Austrian roads.

But then we crossed into Germany.

I swear this place has the worst traffic in the world (at least when I visit) We spent hours filtering through endless queues of traffic for the entire 3/400 miles of German roads before escaping to the very amicable French Toll Roads as the sun went down.

Something went crazy wrong with my rear gunners photo skills as we clicked through 16, 17 & 18 hours into our days ride. It is however representative of how it remains in my memory!

Just as well we were all but done. Here we after our 19 hours 1680km The Iron Butt Ride (Subject to Verification) was complete.

All that remained was to get some sleep and then get to Canterbury for the IBA meet.

I hope you enjoyed the Ride Report. Until next time…
South East England ABR Group!

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”